OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

Page 2 of 6
On 05/15/2016 11:03 PM, Don Y wrote:

The country would be a lot more interesting if Denver fronted on the Mississippi. On one trip I forgot Oklahoma was between Arkansas and Texas on I40. I was disappointed when i hit the OK line. Of course, Arkansas and Texas do adjoin at Texarkana but then you have a day and a half of Texas. Just can't win.
On 5/16/2016 12:45 AM, rbowman wrote:

Many years ago, I went to a funeral in Indiana. The highway was clogged with road construction. 20 MPH instead of 65. I had a look at my USA map, and found a parallel route. Had to stop for the towns, but the travel progress was so much better.
The one time I went to Salt Lake City, we took I-80, think it was. The fellow riding with me said that Nebraska is endless. I have to agree, every 50 miles were cattle guards, and a small town. took about six hours to cross the state. We were lucky to have someone to talk with. I did wish for cruise control.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 05/16/2016 06:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I worked in Ft. Wayne for a year. I'd ride my bicycle 15 or 20 miles looking at soybeans, turn around, and ride back looking at the other side of the soybeans. The wind shifted as soon as I turned too.
Flying was even worse. When the scenery all looks the same you have plenty of time to think about the wings falling off or the engine stopping. The Tomahawk only did 100 knots happily so it wasn't much better than driving.
On 5/16/2016 9:57 AM, rbowman wrote:

My sister made friends with a girl scout from Canada. Sister asked friend how fast they drove, on the way to visit. Friend said "we didn't go very fast, we only went about a hundred". Sister exclaims how fast that was, we only go about sixty or sixty five.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/16/2016 11:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Probably kph: http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/travel-resources/speed-limits-u-s-and-canada/#.Vzoe1b5oDvk
On 05/16/2016 09:54 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Back in the day I recall doing 100 on the Mac and Jack Speedway (Macdonald–Cartier Freeway) and it wasn't no stinking kilometer stuff.
On 5/16/2016 11:06 PM, rbowman wrote:

Did that on my way home tonight on the highway. On stretch at the state line has good visibility for such stuff for a couple of miles. According to my gps, the fastest was 123. No place to really let it out safely and without possible intervention.
On 5/16/2016 11:06 PM, rbowman wrote:

went from some number, to fewer. Same with Tampax, and many other products. Kilometers are like miles, but "Miles Lite, 40% less filling". Also lower in sodium, and carbon emissions than miles.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 11:05:17 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

I used to do 100+ on the Verrazano–Narrows Bridge between Brooklyn & Staten Island in NYC. I was driving a Chevy station wagon full of bagels during a short stint as a bagel delivery guy for a friend's bagel business.
The Brooklyn cops would turn back into Brooklyn on their side of the bridge and the Staten Island cops would turn around on their side. There was never a cop on the bridge unless there was an accident. At 5 AM, you usually had about 4 miles of open road to play on.
On 5/16/2016 9:57 AM, rbowman wrote:

I'm not sure the modern generation knows how food is produced, and how it gets to the store. Just as happy to see all those soybeans plowed under, and put up a theme park. "Starving clueless kids park".
You ever see bumper stickers "No farms; no food". Guess they never went hunting or fishing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You may wish to consider researching hunter-gatherer societies and the transition to agriculture and the advancements made possible thereby (such as the ability to support much larger populations). If you had to survive on hunting and fishing, you'd not have the abundant leisure time to support your voluminous useless posting and evangelizing.
On 05/16/2016 10:27 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I wouldn't call agrarian society an advance. Surplus food, surplus people, and the spare time to get up to all sorts of mischief like organized religion and constant warfare.
On 5/16/2016 8:08 PM, rbowman wrote:

+1
OTOH, also time to set up things like medical care (beyond blood letting and dancing under moonlit skies).
E.g., for the folks with both feet firmly planted in the past ("The Good Old Days"), I'd not be keen on returning to the 1950's life expectancy figures of 65/71 (M/F). The ~10 years added in the decades since represents a significant improvement, IMnsHO!
And, the police will no longer look the other way when you beat your spouse... (and it was OK for priests to abuse little boys)

Yeah, but those are the crappy years that come at the end. I'd go back to the 1950s in a heartbeat if it were possible. (My preferred target year would probably be more like 1960.)
On 5/16/2016 11:08 PM, rbowman wrote:

Remember, the USA has plenty of surplus to send to Russia, when they starve. And also to the African nations. Remember the TV shows with the stick figure bone and ribs children. My Dad knew and Afro American (who had blonde hair and blue eyes) who agreed that the famine was terrible. And then he commented they didn't kill off enough of them. Dad !!say what!!. The real Africans use starvation and famine as a population control. When the other tribe is over populated, send in the teens on Jeeps and AK-47 to cut off the food. Of course, the Europeans show up with cameras and food. Pay off the jeep kids, and feed the stick figures so they can grow to puberty and make more stick figures for us to feed.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 5/17/2016 12:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You appear to have reading comprehension problems. I've described the African Tribe approach, and the white European approach. However, you've not read (in this post) the Stormin Mormon approach. How might you get all that descriptors from what I quoted from others? I think you still lack enough information to be calling me names.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You ever been there? Ever worked with those people? Ever actually SEEN how they live??? Well I have. Both central/eastern and West Africa.
You get a different outlook when you see it up close and personal. Particularly when it is not just short term visits. 2 years in east/central southern Africa makes you think.
On 5/17/2016 3:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

this thread is screaming for your elaboration.
On 5/17/2016 6:15 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

The four indented text (top line) is likely to be as educational as we will read from Claude.
--
.
Christopher A. Young