OT. GM fuel mileage overstated

However, we have *read* how you treat different groups.

- Calling undernourished Africans "stick figures".

- Complaining that you ("us") have to feed their offspring.

- Making racist comments disguised as humor to the person of color at Harbor Freight.

- Thinking that it is OK for someone to point out that the roofers were Mexicans when it is only their work ethic that mattered.

- Continually adding "But were they Mexican?" to posts that had nothing to do with with race.

"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill." ? Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)

No, we have not met you in person, but we have read your words. Until your words indicate otherwise, we have no option other than to assign the label "racist". Words often define a person better than their actions. A person can perform all manner of actions that outwardly appear to be benevolent, but if in their head and heart they are looking down on the people they are "helping", they are still racists.

..snip...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

1) pound Stormy over the head with a garbage can full of historic selected items. 2) More kicks in the balls.

Are you part of the problem, or part of the solution? Are you making the world a better place and teaching people to do better?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Historic selected items = facts.

Do you have a problem with facts in general or only when they refute your claims?

Why are you bringing your nut-sack into this discussion? I'm not kicking any part of your anatomy nor do I plan to. I merely respond to the words you post. First when you post your racist comments and then when you deny your racism.

Everyday. Does this sound familiar:

"You've not met me in person, nor seen how I treat people of different groups."

However, you have read how I push back when racists comments are made. Base your opinion of me on that because that is all you have. Compare my words to yours and see which sound more like "part of the solution" vs. "part of the problem".

"...feed the stick figures so they can grow to puberty and make more stick figures for us to feed."

Please explain how that comment shows us that you are "making the world a better place and teaching people to do better?"

Oh, wait...you have a tendency not to respond to specific questions. Would you care to try just once to do that?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nice goal post move. I never said that every minute of every one of my days was making the world a better place. Some times I just describe things.

I did, however, say I do plenty to make the world a better place. I also promised not to detail the list, and to keep you ignorant.

Clare's long treatise on his trip to Africa pretty much agreed with what I wrote. Clare describes corruption, medical problems, starvation, discouraged people given up, and how the white foreigners are the ones who seem to teach and get things done for the starving stick figures.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...And not once did Clare refer to any group of people as "stick figures". Do you not realize that that term, along with "and make more stick figures for us to feed" is what prompted this discussion?

The mere fact that you continue to use that phrase and apparently don't see how hurtful and harmful it is negates any attempt you may try to show us how you "do plenty to make the world a better place."

If the words you choose are not what is really in your heart, then stop using them and this vitriol will end. Once again, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, but you just don't seem to get it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You and Clare have been displaying behaviour long before this thread. I don't for a second believe that one small change of my wording will end your or Clare's vitriol. Your attempts to appear noble and gracious.... fall flat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

1) It would have been some thing else, even if I'd chosen different words.

2) I mentioned doing plenty. However, if you go back and read, I'm NOT doing any thing to give examples or "show us". I'm leaving you ignorant. Which you're demonstrating nicely on your own.

You are entirely welcome to continue failing this thread as long as you wish.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...YOU are part of the problem, if you were a Mormon follower you would be a better example/person. Look to thyself...

Reply to
bob_villain

Absolutely! It wouldn't have been racist. Now you're catching on. Good for you!

That's the standard answer from someone who has no examples to share.

Of course I'm ignorant of your good deeds. If you don't share them, I can't have knowledge of them. If you are trying to insult me by calling me ignorant, you should probably look up the meaning of the word.

There are lots of things I am ignorant about and I feel no shame in telling people that.

My only failure has been in my attempts to show you the error of your ways. Oh wait...maybe you actually have been paying attention and are just too stubborn to admit your mistakes. There's no way for me to know that unless you tell me. For now, I'll just add that to my list of things I'm ignorant about.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

But with a TOTALLY different outlook.

Reply to
clare

Do you believe it's wrong (bragging) to talk about the good things you do for others, as in, that will be your reward on earth... vs your spiritual reward in heaven?

Do you know what I'm referring to?

Reply to
Muggles

Yes, that's a major part of my decision not to describe my good deeds on this usenet list.

Also a major part is the behaviour of a couple list readers who don't accurately reflect the simple things I write.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"bragging" so people think better of you for what you do is spoken out against in the bible, but it is not a sin to show people how little things they can do (after all, I can do it - so you can do something of value to) can be perfectly acceptable.

Reply to
clare

Ok... I thought that might be part of it.

I understand guarding your privacy.

Reply to
Muggles

True. Sometimes, there's a fine line.

Reply to
Muggles

1) I sense you and I have a bit in common.

2) don't want to cast pearls before swine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We make cheesecake in a glass pie plate. The graham-cracker crust is my favorite part, anyway. Graham crackers, brown sugar, and butter--what's not to like?

Here's the recipe. Mary Ellen St John was a friend of my in-laws.

Mary Ellen St John's Cream Cheese Pie

Crust:

1/4 pound butter, melted 16 graham cracker squares, coarsely crushed (1 square = 4 crackers) 1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix crust ingredients, press into 12" glass pie plate. Blind bake at 350 F for 8 minutes.

Filling:

1 pound cream cheese at room temperature 3/4 cup sugar 3 eggs well beaten 1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix filling ingredients with electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. (Make sure center is firm.)

Topping:

1 pint sour cream 1/2 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix topping ingredients and pour over baked pie. Return to oven for 5-8 minutes at 350 F.

Chill pie before serving.

Note: 12" pie plates are pretty rare. Before we inherited my mother-in-law's, we used a 10" pie plate and baked a second, smaller pie in a small, low casserole dish. I never could get my husband to try multiplying the recipe by 2/3 (or somesuch factor).

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Don Y posted for all of us...

Around here the saying is: You can't get there from here.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Second-hand stores are your friend. I use a glass (rectangular) baking dish with *vertical* sides (instead of the sloping sides common nowadays) for many of my baked goods. Mine dates from the 60's. A few minutes browsing the second hand stores over the years "when I had time" have helped me locate two of them.

Reply to
Don Y

Those second hand GM pie plates, the mileage is often overstated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon