Low Mileage Van

My land tank is a 87 Dodge, with the 8 engine, and has about 150K miles.

Running about 8 or 9 MPG.

Recently had the tune up parts. Cap, rotor, sparks, air filter, fuel filter.

What else might help improve mileage?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tire pressure can make a big difference. Also don't drive around with a lot of extra weight - clean out all the stuff that has accumulated that really doesn't need to be there. Drive as though there was a raw egg between your foot and the pedals. That means accelerate and decelerate gradually. Coast to a stop rather than waiting to the last minute and slamming on the brakes. Any time you use the brakes, you are wasting fuel.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillThesailor

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Jack it up and put a GMC under it!

Reply to
Randd01

get a few of your wives to push it

Reply to
Swampy

Don't think putting a GMC under it would help get better mileage. I have an older GMC 'Gaucho' van with a 350. What a pig on gas! Don't know which Chrysler V8 the Stormin Mormon has in his Dodge van, but if it is the 318, the gas mileage should be better than he is getting. Had a few big old Chrysler cars with the 318 engine and got pretty good mileage out of them. Seldom, if ever had any engine problems either.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

dodge Ram it up your ass and walk.

Reply to
mark Ransley

My new GMC with 5.3 V8 averages 20 mpg got up to 23 on highway with automatic overdrive tranny. Way better then my 1995 GMC with 350 got.

Reply to
Randd01

Reply to
buckworth

Hate to say this, but buy a new van! I recently dumped my 87 money pit for a

97 in perfect shape for $1,050.

Much less than the tranny I needed would have cost.

At a certain point, old vehicles are a false economy. But you need to shop very,very carefully to get out of the trap. I worked in the auto game, and I can assure you a dealer will never be the way out. The deals are out there if you look hard.

Reply to
Chia Pet

Oddly enough, I'm a bachelor. But thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Had tune up parts, but did you check the timing?

Reply to
Charles H. Stevens

A V-6

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Alot of things , low compression, bad cam, timing retarded, rich fuel mixture, vac leak, sticking brakes , advance not operating. You name it. put it on a scope to weed it out. I find not braking gets me more mpg.

Reply to
mark Ransley