Lowes Black Friday

Page 2 of 3
On 11/13/2010 9:32 AM, Tony Miklos wrote:

Remember the Disney cartoons/movies that showed the young men driving hot rods made from Model T's and Model A's? I'm trying to remember if the time period was pre 1940 and the guys were playing ukuleles and the cars had a coon tail on the antenna. I seem to remember straw hats and school team letter jackets too. I remember watching the cartoons and movies on our B$W TV back in the 1950's. 8-)
TDD
On 11/13/2010 12:07 AM, Robert Green wrote:

and two rights make an airplane
--
Steve Barker

The first time I recall hearing that joke was on "I'm Dickens, He's Fenster" which was around the time JFK was assassinated.
http://imdickenshesfenster.com /
but it's still funnier than ever!
-- Bobby G.
On 11/14/2010 7:13 AM, Robert Green wrote:

For those of us who were too young at the time, and lack connections fast enough to watch video clips without screaming, can somebody please post the text of the joke?
--
aem, befuddled but curious, sends....

Fenster"
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two (W)rights (Orville and Wilbur) make an airplane.
-- Bobby G.
On 11/14/2010 10:01 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I guess that was funnier back when there were still people around that remembered The Birth Of Flight...
--
aem sends....

make
1963 was a lot closer to that historic date than 2010 is . . . I guess you had to be there. (-:
-- Bobby G.
On 11/11/2010 1:50 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Well, up north here my jerking knee kinda sympathizes with your POV, but not enough to get my BP spiked over it. But in some parts of USA (all the way from western LA through middle CA, and parts of FL too for that matter), I'll point out that Spanish was there before English was. Not to mention ancestors of many families still living there. They never moved, the border did. And although mass media never made much note of it, their culture has been continuously practiced there far longer than the area was part of USA, even as a territory. So who is pushing out who? Cultural and genetic borders seldom line up with the lines drawn on a map. Most of the areas mentioned above that were settled in pre-Anglo days revel in the their Mexican/Spanish heritage. Northerners are not that different- even 230 years later, it is clear mainstream US culture is a product mainly of English heritage. Most of our language, most of our laws, the way our military is set up (right down to the 'noble class' officers vs. the 'commoner' enlisted ranks), the way our universities work, and so on and so on. And since we outlawed Official royalty when we kicked King George out, we created our own surrogates. (You could go back 100-some years and switch the Windsors and Kennedys, and both would have felt right at home.)
I'm the son of immigrants from far northern Europe, and although they kept speaking the mother tongue and pining for home, they didn't make us (8 kids) speak it, or participate in cultural events related to our heritage. They wanted us to assimilate, and not be 2nd or 3rd generation refugees. Of course, they never thought USSR would collapse, and their home country would regain any semblance of a free government. Boy were they surprised. My mother moved back and reclaimed the old family properties. I went to visit once, and kind of regret how cut off I am from all that. But even as a kid, I never could learn languages worth a damn, so I won't frustrate myself by trying.
--
aem sends...

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:50:36 -0800, Jon Danniken wrote:
[snip]
Last time I was in a Loves, I noticed the "customer service" sign. It was in English, Spanish, French, Russian, and Chinese.
--
43 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

And no one has ever ever ever forged or spoofed an address or identity. Or stalked someone by posting as them............................
Gotcha.
Steve

That goes to say you should never click on any link provided by anyone. The poster may be spoofing and even if a description is provided a spoofer would not stop short of lying.
Be safe. Pull the plug and jam all the usb ports so no one can insert a usb drive, hammer some door shims in the cd/dvd drives.
Sure spoofing happens. Probability depends on the arena. Another "PART of determining whether to click on a link".
Steve B wrote:

you might as well just turn off your computer
Red Green wrote:

+1
On 11/10/2010 10:46 PM, Red Green wrote:

Time to get a new DeWalt cordless drill!
Maybe I'll put a cord and a cigarette lighter plug on the 15+ year old 12 volt Milwaukee and keep it in the van.

Works fine for my 9V DeWalts. I even run them off 12V 7AH and 3AH UPS batteries. Plenty of torque, more than the original batteries since I'm technically 'overvolting' but since it has a variable speed trigger, I never really run it flat out. Much cheaper than buying a rebuilt pack and the smaller 3AH batteries are about the same size as the original pack. I broke open the old dead pack, pulled the connector off it and attached it to the battery with strapping tape. Not very elegant looking, but much, much cheaper than a rebuilt pack.
-- Bobby G.
On 11/14/2010 7:43 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I never found suitible replacement batteries at a good price, where did you get yours?

never
broke
the
I never did, either. That's why I began using UPS gel cell batteries instead of rebuilding or replacing the DeWalt drill packs. I got the original two drills and 4 total battery packs on sale at Wal-mart for $50 but the cost of a single replacement battery pack was nearly $40. Not acceptable. All four packs quickly failed (poor design - center cell always failed first from overheating) so the drills had plenty of life left to them.
So I took some 12VDC AGM 7AH and 3AH batteries
http://www.zbattery.com/b-b-12v-7ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery
($10 to $20 bucks each if you look around, $50 if you don't) and connected them to the proprietary connector I removed from the dead battery packs using slide on quick disconnects. When they run low, I attach them to a $10 gel cel float charger. After three NiCad DIY pack rebuilds and one very impressive short-circuit meltdown, I abandoned pack rebuilds and switched to gel cell lead-acid rechargeables.
Of course, it only works well on 9 to 12VDC powered drills . . .
-- Bobby G.
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:18:44 -0500, "Robert Green"

I like that. Good for working where's there's no power. And you don't have to toss a tool. But now you're dragging cord AND battery packs around. Seem to defeat the purpose of "cordless." Just saying....
--Vic

the
some
UPS
I'm
the
much
always
connected
$10
In my case, I've been able to attach the 3AH battery to the base of one drill, so there's no cord to deal with at all. The other one's set up for running off a cigarette lighter plug which makes it useful for work inside the car/van. It means I don't have to drag out the large 110VAC extension cords nor worry about any possible electrocution issues.
I find it particularly useful to use on my little garden tool cart when I run around the whole house in the spring, drilling holes with an earth auger to lay down termite bait tubes. The 7AH hour battery sits on the cart (it's got a cigarette socket attached to it) and I plug the drill cord into that. Allows me to go around the house without getting an extension cord hung up in all the shrubs and such. A great deal, considering I didn't have to pay as much for a replacement pack of a defective design that probably wouldn't have lasted any longer than the original packs.
-- Bobby G.
Not me! I use a float charger. There would be nothing to control the charge rate with a splitter and I would be afraid that they'd overheat, overcharge or melt the wiring.
-- Bobby G.