Home Depot

I was in my local Home Depot the other day and instead of the usual friendly service everyone I saw working there looked like they were not very happy to be there and a lot less friendly and less patient than what I remember.

Anything bad going on in the world of HD?

Reply to
Country

On 11/11/2010 10:40 AM Country spake thus:

Maybe just the usual crap? Stupid, overbearing bosses, crappy pay, virtually no training, etc.?

Friend of mine works at the Despot and reports all of the above.

Ackshooly, since I'm in my local store almost weekly, I've noticed over the last year or so a definite upgrading of the staff, as well as a noticeably cleaner store. They seemed to have gone on something of a hiring spree, and also seem to be responding to what they must know is a piss-poor customer service image. But this may vary from store to store.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It will be clear, calm, and 78 degrees today.

Of course, it may be different where YOU are.

At MY HD's, in St. George and Cedar City, Utah, all is alive and well. No employee passes without saying hello, asking you if you need any help, and then walking you to the product you asked about instead of pointing. Getting to know some of the employees by a first name basis, and a nod when I'm running around getting stuff for a current remodel. No problem about getting help, or bad attitudes.

Each store has its own autonomy, personalities, politics, management, help, and other issues. Some are doing better than others, hence, at those stores, employees are working full weeks instead of partial weeks, which can affect ANYONE'S attitude.

MHO, YMMV. And probably does.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Maybe you were in a bad mood? That changes your perceptions greatly.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cdc3ce1$0$2535 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Back a bit in NC I was in one and the tool dept head was venting to another employee. From what I overheard (and it wasn't hard) they wanted some people to come in, work for an hour, take their lunch break then work the remaining shift.

Reply to
Red Green

Nope.

Reply to
Country

On 11/11/2010 12:58 PM Country spake thus:

So where is your big orange store?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Here in Waterloo Ontario they've upshifted a little bit because "there is a new sherrif in town". Lowes opens very soon. Rona wasn't a real strong competitor, particularly being the far side of Kitchener and being Rona.

Reply to
clare

Imagine that. Am employer asking an employee to do something!

Ridiculous!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Coldwater, Michigan.

Reply to
Country

I've found this varies from region to region, not so much store to store. I don't know if it's regional management or perhaps they "feel the heat" in some areas more than others.

Reply to
krw

Absolutely! When management starts telling you how good things are and how "you are in charge of your attitude", you know things are about to get even worse. :-(

Reply to
krw

I posted a thread on this a couple months ago. I'm in HD's home town, so I probably see things earlier.

What I do know is that they brought in some outside management to redo some things. Shortly after I saw about what you did. Employees doing the letter of their job, but indifferent to customers to the point that they didn't want to be bothered.

FWIW, it seems to be back to normal. Not that the HD employees I see really like working there, never really have. Lowes has got a much happier group.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

I know. Employees should not expect to have lunch around lunchtime which is somewhere around midshift.

Reply to
Red Green

"Steve B" wrote >>>

Schedule like that makes for a messed up day. I'd certainly bitch about it. Work an hour, break an hours, work seven hours. That would get old fast.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In some states a 7 hour stretch like that is illegal for safety reasons

Reply to
LouB

Damn right. Employees are entitled to take lunch whenever they want. And take as long as they want.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It is definitely a safety issue. There is a falling off of performance about 3 hours after a fat heavy meal, and slightly longer for a carbohydrate based meal. Based on a study by a Certified Safety Professional with the Board of Certified Safety Professionals who owned Schram Catering, the largest caterer in the Gulf of Mexico.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Since when was HD's service anything other than worthless?

nate

Reply to
N8N