Home Depot

ISTR something in labor law about no more than 5 hours in a row without a meal break? Or maybe that is just the union contract where I work. (Legally meaningless, since I work for the Feds, but still mostly followed anyway.)

But yeah, expecting people to work (other than in an emergency) an oddball shift like that, is an indicator of piss-poor planning. By the last 2-3 hours of their shift, even for healthy people, their sugar levels will be way low, they will be making more mistakes and getting less work done, and they will be snapping at the customers. Hungry people are cranky people.

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:HJOdnbSttPocokDRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I really don't know the legal rules and probably vary state to state. Probably something like building code where there's a national/federal code and local states can be more restrictive.

I seem to remember something about xx minute break for ever 4 continuous hrs of work. May have been a company policy and not a rule.

Reply to
Red Green

Why do they need training? Aren't they just salespersons? All they need to tell the customers is just where the stuff is... :)

Reply to
Man-wai Chang

-snip-

Here is NY's law on it;

30 years ago I worked retail & the employer was breaking that law. A person complained. The employer found out. He fired them. When the labor folks came around to investigate the complaint, the employer told them he didn't work there anymore-- so there was no investigation.

Retail work sucks. But I'm glad I did it for a few months just so I could appreciate some of the better jobs I've had.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yeah, I think the memory of that thread is what made me wonder about the change I saw this time. Could have been just a bad day in that particular store, tho.

-C-

Reply to
Country

On 11/12/2010 5:12 AM N8N spake thus:

Seems to be the luck of the draw. I have found some HD employees who are actually very knowledgable and helpful. One old guy in the store I shop at (Emeryville, CA) is very good with electrical stuff.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4cdd7e3e$0$2548 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Oh I've found them too at both Borg in multiple stores. Then they suddenly disappear...

Reply to
Red Green

Here in Oregon, a 15 minute paid break is required after two hours working. After four hours, you get a 30 minute unpaid break.

Of course, depending on the job, it may not be appropriate to take advantage of the system, but you do have the legal right to demand it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Seems to be that way in most any store. I have talked with electricians in the stores that were working there because of bad economy or they were retired. Same as in an electrical supply store I know of. Sometimes you just get a guy that only knows where the item is on the shelf if you can show him one.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In Canada it is law - 1/2 hour break after 5 hours.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How dare them not allowing an employer to ask an employee to do something!

:-)

Reply to
Red Green

Translated: "The floggings will continue until the morale improves".

Reply to
krw

"Jon Danniken" wrote

Two hour is on the short side by law. IIRC, in MA it is six hours. In an 8 hour day you have to allow 30 minutes unpaid, but you can give a shorter pair break if the employees prefers it. We give 10 - 15- 10 all paid, but they still have the option of a 30 minute unpaid for lunch. The law allows certain job classifications to have no break.

You have to provide water, toilets, and not much more. No minimum heat required. Laws aside, you don't keep good and get good work from people unless you treat them well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski