Hot water heater tank

The recent discussion about a tankless system replied a response about the efficiency of the current tank heaters lead me to ask the following question.

Tank heaters are more efficient than many people do realize, but some time ago, I watch one of the home repair TV shows who installed a "Vertex" water heater. The pitch was a comparison of the Vertex and the standard heater. The Vertex loses roughly 2% of it's energy and is 98% efficient compared to the standard tank of 40% loss and 60% efficient, or somewhere along those lines. Anyone have any experience or knowledge with the Vertex and can shed some light on it's comparison to a standard tank?

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

Tank efficiency is rated by E.F. the Energy Factor rating. The ratings are the percent of energy used that it takes to operate a tank and keep water hot. Example, a 80 EF tank wastes 20% of the energy it consumes to heat and maintain water. A 55 EF tank wastes 45%, there are many 55-65EF tanks made. Vertex are about 82-83EF and regular tanks 55-65 EF. I have a AO Cyclone its the commercial version of Vertex. Ng tankless go from 82-94 EF

is a good place to review all tank ratings.

Reply to
ransley

A compact solar water system can eliminate all your losses and even gain free hot water. compactsolarwater.com

Reply to
LSMFT