How much hot water does a dishwasher use?

I have a standard dishwasher in my kitchen. I am curious how much hot water it uses to do a load of dishes. The dishwasher was bought less than a year ago.

Reply to
Harry Everhart

noemailid

I've seen wildly varying figures from 2 to 20 gallons, but the newer ones seem to be closer to 5. The maker seem to be vague on the matter.

From the Whirlpool web page: Do I use more water hand washing or using a dishwasher? You use 2 times as much water by hand-washing dishes. It costs about 15 cents per load to use your dishwasher and about 2 cents per load to use the dry cycle.

From

The average water use per dishwasher cycle decreased from a range of 11-15 gallons per normal cycle in 1978 (Garrett, 1978) to 6-10 gallons per normal cycle in 2000 (Soap and Detergent Association [SDA],

2000). Despite the fact dishwashers are designed to be resource efficient, other significant determining factors on resource usage are the result of decisions of the consumer.

begin 666 spacer.gif M1TE&.#EA!0`%`)$``/___P```````````"'Y! $`````+ `````%``4```($ &A(^I6 `[ ` end

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's good to know. How does that help the OP though? Most manuals today do not give that information.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
noemailid

Hi,

That doesn't narrow it down much :( Make, model#??

model# helps.

Makes, models will vary from d/w to d/w. The use&care manual that came with the d/w may have the gallons per cycles used ( EG: rince and hold, Reg, Pots and pans, etc ).

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

in any case, its not all that much.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

No, he did not, but your answer was no help at all was it? When I was buying a new DW last year I checked a few manuals from different bands that I was considering. Not one of them had water use ratings. If you had said my old machine state it uses from 5 to 7 gallons, depending on cycle, that would have been of some use. Most brands have manuals available on line if you care to check them out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Have you checked Consumer Reports? They sometimes give info like that. If you want to really know then unhook the drain tube and run a load into a couple of 5 gal buckets. Repeat for each of the different cycle options. Probably be interesting to do even if you did find the manufactures claims. Are you more concerned with just water usage or 'hot' water consumption? If I anticipate running out of hot water from showers and laundry etc., then I will run the dishwasher last. My DW will heat the incoming water with the heating elements if not hot enough.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

I saw this info yesterday and it took me awhile to figure out where I saw it. Here it is:

info comes from:
/J

Reply to
Jenn Vanderslice

If the OP would let us know which brand/model he has, I think someone here might be able to check and find out. They vary from about 3.5 gal to 11 gals for a normal cycle, entirely dependent on the particular unit.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks Ed - I am sorry I was not more specific. The dishwasher is a Whirlpool Gold that I installed in 2004. I was in bed and could not go check the model last night :-)

The reason I am asking is because I am planning to replace two big electric water heaters - with maybe one one or two smaller gas or electric units. My kitchen is on one end of a 90 foot house and my bathrooms on the other end. But through poor engineering - the water heater near the kitchen services the bathrooms on the other end of the house.

I am planning to put one tankless water heater right next to my shower and then run a 1/2 insulated line "up and over 100 feet" to the sink and dishwasher in the kitchen.

Another option is to put one of those little 2.5 gallon water heaters under the sink next to the dishwasher. Just a thought. It is foolish for my wife and I to be heating two giant tanks of water - 24 hours a day - for two shower - a load of laundry - and a load of dishes.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Dear Jenn -

Thanks for that web page. Here is the info I requested that I got from the web page -

Activity Gallons Used

Shower

20-50 (5-10 per minute)

Tub Bath

36 (Full)

Toilet Flush

5-7

Tooth Brushing

2 (tap running)

Hand Washing

2 (tap running)

Shaving

3-5 (tap running)

Dish washing

20 (tap running)

Automatic dishwasher

10-15 (full cycle)

Clothes washer

30-60 (full cycle)

Outdoor watering

5-10 (per minute)

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

How much water does a dishwasher use? How many miles per gallon does a car get.

Reply to
m Ransley

I bought a Whirlpool less than an year ago and the book has the water usage in it. It is under the cycle selection charts. It uses from about 6 to 11 gallons of water depending on the settings. It also gives the times of usage. Around 70 to 90 min.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hi Kevin - I am concerned about hot water only. I have two 50 gallons water heaters

- one by kitchen - one on the other end of the house by laundry. The one in the kitchen serves two bathrooms 90 feet away. I know it is stupid - but I bought the house this way. I plan to put one new tankless water heater right next to the bathrooms and maybe run an insulated line up and over to the kitchen. The kitchen has a sink and dishwasher - that is all. I was thinking maybe an under sink water heater could serve the sink and dishwasher. I am just in the planning stage. I hate waiting 90 seconds for hot water in the bathrooms. :-) I also hate that I am heating 100 gallons all the time for two showers - a load of clothes - and a load of dishes daily. I know - I have too much time on my hands :-) Money is no object within reason. Also the utility company will give me $450 for each electric water heater I replace with a gas one. Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Look under the cycle selection charts. That is the unit I installed about the same time. It uses about 6 to 11 gallons depending on the cycle. Mostly around 11 gallons for normal loads.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks Ralph - I will use 11 gallons as a guide per load. If that is the case - then a

2.5 gallon electric water heater will not serve it well. I presently have a 50 gallon water heater serving just a kitchen sink and dishwasher

- silly - I know. I want to replace it. Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Your dishwasher may have a heater built in to get the water to the temp desired, mine does and it is older.

Reply to
m Ransley

My washer specifies incomming water to be atleast 120 deg F. It is then heated to 140 to 160 deg F depening on the cycle used.

I would assume most washers would have internal heaters to get the water hot enough. The recommended setting for the house water heater is usually less than 130 deg F.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery