How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

Page 12 of 14
CRNG wrote, on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 05:49:29 -0500:

UPDATE:
The neighbors, who recently ran out of water, just drilled a new well of 520 feet, which is getting 18 gallons per minute, and which hit water at 300 feet initially.
They said it cost over 50K to drill, and that's not even counting the new tanks they had to put in to meet the new code.
On 8/3/2014 8:13 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Ouch! Any chance they will run a pipe and help keep you in water? At least for long enough to fill your fire tanks?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
bob haller wrote, on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:38:37 -0700:

This is California, Silicon Valley, one of the most expensive places in the country, where I was quoted $4,200 just to fill my pool with water.
My neighbors, who drilled a 520 foot well, said it cost them over fifty thousand dollars, so, that's about $100 a foot.
They had initially hit water at 300 feet, but at 520 feet, they're getting 18 gallons a minute, and the code is that they must also have 15,000 gallons of tank, where the rules are such that each tank will be 5,000 gallons (because of platform requirements if it's over 5,000 gallons).
10,000 gallons must be reserved for fire suppression alone, so only 5,000 gallons is for the homeowner.
CRNG wrote, on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 05:49:29 -0500:

Everything costs (far) more in California, but, googling, I see this listing today: http://machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHIDf02191
Which is $4K for a used 1,000 gallon water hauling trailer, shop made, sold in Illinois, by Jed Weber, at 309-526-3636.
Here's a new 1,000 gallon water hauling trailer for $12K: http://mypumpstore.com/1000-Gallon-Water-Trailer-HW-TFX-2M-1000-T.htm
Here's a nearby Craigslist ad for 500 gallons at $8,500: http://stockton.craigslist.org/bfs/4541786420.html
Seems to me this is a good DIY project, to build our own.
Seems all we'd need are: 1. Cylindrical tank strapped to a ... 2. Standard trailer, and a few ... 3. Pump & hoses & fittings
On 8/3/2014 8:24 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Wonder if the family with the new well might consider selling off water for some arrangement?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You get very little of it back. Drive any car with a continuous mileage readout and you'll be astounded how low the uphill mileage is. You might be lucky to get 1/10 uphill as on a level. Of course it depends on the slope.
In your case, you are hauling a lot of weight uphill and not taking it back down, so there's no chance at all the reclaim the energy you put into raising the weight.
Even without that, most of the energy you gain going downhill goes into heating the brakes and the air, depending on slope, speed limit, etc.
Edward
On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 00:12:12 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

I thought Prop-13 passed in the mid 1970s limited property taxes to 1% of the owner's purchase price with a *very small* increase allowed every year? Did that change or did the politicos find a way around it?

Thanks.
On 8/4/2014 3:59 AM, CRNG wrote:

Maximum of 2% per year increase.
This would be pretty fair, and would provide sufficient revenue, if it applied to one, primary, non-commercial, owner-occupied, residence, with no exceptions. Unfortunately there are loads of exceptions. So with so many people able to pay far less than their fair share, the property taxes need to be supplemented with parcel taxes.
Additional parcel taxes can be passed with a 2/3 vote. School taxes in areas with good schools always seem to pass. With good reason because houses in areas with good schools increase in value and are fairly immune to housing bubbles. A 1960's era, 1500-2000 square foot, tract home, on a 6000 square foot lot, in a neighborhood with good schools, is around $1.5 million. Property taxes would be about $20K per year.
Housing and college tuition are what are the biggest expenses in California. Other expenses are not really greater than a lot of other states. Food is cheap.

yes, they have ruined Oregon and Nevada. Idaho too, I think.
CRNG wrote, on Mon, 04 Aug 2014 05:59:06 -0500:

What California does, is raise the price of the property up to 2% every year (invariably), & they constantly add additional "assessments", which all seem to past the ballot procedure out here (Californians don't seem to feel that they're taxed enough yet).
They have Measure A, Measure B, Measure C.... Measure F, etc. all of which are assessments such as the most recent $17/100,000 of assessment just for the open space that you don't even live on.
All of which pass.
In addition to that, they add cleverly crafted "fees" (which aren't taxes but in all ways, are exactly like taxes, down to the fact they can take away your house if you don't pay them), which only need a 50% majority (instead of a super majority) to pass.
What irks me is how much they lie to the people, and the Californians don't even realize it. If California had folks from the east, they'd never put up with the shenanigans they pull out here. < / rant >
On 8/5/2014 12:02 PM, Danny D. wrote:

The 2% limit is a good thing! Prior to that they were basing the property tax on the actual value, not the the purchase price plus a maximum of 2% per year.
But Prop 13 should have applied to one, owner-occupied, residential property, not to commercial property or rental property.

Our schools must have the most amazing restrooms since every parcel tax for schools seems to mention "provide safe, clean, restrooms."

True. But here's why I kind of like the fees and parcel taxes. There's a great many people making high incomes that are paying extremely low property taxes either because of the loopholes in Prop 13, or because they are living in their parent's house, or because they have turned a former personal residence into an income property. They can't escape the parcel taxes and fees and as these become a larger percentage of the total tax burden it becomes fairer.
For example, on the street next to me, one family is living in the wife's parent's house. They are probably paying about $1000 per year in property taxes. If the house was taxed at the assessed value it would bring in about $18,000 per year. If it were assessed at the value when they moved in, plus 2% annual increases, it would probably be taxed at $6000-7000. They send their kids to the same public schools as the kids of parents paying $8000-16,000 in property taxes. They are free-loading.
These taxes and fees usually have an exemption for seniors (but ironically seniors still get to vote to impose them) so the argument of "taxing seniors out their homes" doesn't work.
On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:02:37 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are the typical taxes on say a nice 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home, 3000 sq ft, on about an acre lot?
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sun, 03 Aug 2014 20:23:16 -0400:

Heh heh... I didn't ask, but, here's a picture of the well drillers doing their thing. Notice what looks like "snow" on the ground is some kind of foam...
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3913/14662947080_2e0a11eb8f_b.jpg
But there is a big big problem, it turns out.
The well, which is 520 feet, is NOT delivering the 18 gpm that I was initially told. It's more like 2.5 gpm, and much much worse than that, it has been flushing for a week now, and the water is still a turbid GRAY color!
It's not sediment, they told me, because it doesn't settle out. They told me that the wells usually clear out the turbidity within a week, but this one isn't doing anything.
So, they've been pumping water, for an entire week, into the ground from under the ground, and the entire area is gray.
I don't know what's in gray water, but, it's odd to see it coming out of the ground (they wouldn't let me take any pictures so I had to sneak that picture from across the yard of the other neighbor).
On 8/7/2014 2:12 AM, Danny D. wrote:

That's odd looking slop. I sense there's not much water "down there" and you need to be back to your plans for water hauling.
Wish I lived closer, and can help.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sun, 03 Aug 2014 20:28:16 -0400:

Funny you should mention that.
Two women, one divorced, the other whose husband recently died shared the original well, and the divorced one (with the more money) decided to drill her own 520 foot well last week.
I snapped a picture of the drillers drilling from the other side, and posted it here:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3913/14662947080_2e0a11eb8f_b.jpg
The woman with the original old well, whom I know better, asked me help her with a flat tire and to check her pump because they had no water, so, I stopped by, and noticed the drillers were still there, a full week later.
I walked over and they were a bit tight lipped (and wouldn't let me take pictures), but, they have been pumping water out of that new well at about 2.5 gallons per minute and the water is absolutely *gray*. They called it "turbid". It looked horrid.
They were pumping it into buckets also, which, they said, would never settle out, as the gray is part of the water and not sediment. The driller said he's never seen a well take a full week and still be gray, so, the water just might not be usable.
We'll see, but, back to the original well tanks, I noticed the pump never turned on, so, I flipped these breakers:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3909/14849622765_52c2a8bb6d_b.jpg
The bad news is that someone must have cut the copper wire on the middle two (why would they do that?) but the good news is that this started the well pumping again:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3876/14849622495_744a418e67_b.jpg
Looking inside the tank, I couldn't see well as I didn't have artificial light, but, the water looked slightly gray. So, I wonder if this water is tainted somehow? The two wells are only about 40 or 50 feet apart, so, the water is similar (although the depths are almost certainly different).
On 8/7/2014 2:22 AM, Danny D. wrote:

That's not all that encouraging. Hope the water clears.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
CRNG wrote, on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 05:49:29 -0500:

BTW, there was a really small fire about a mile away today, so I stopped by the firetruck to ask some questions.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3914/14869507183_6252b29c0f_b.jpg
That truck is 500 gallons, and it has a 4-inch, 2-1/2 inch, and 1-1/2 inch connector on the sides (the four inch is on the other side of the truck).
The guys told me they generally abhor the wharf hydrants that are in everyone's property (so why do we have them?) because the flow is so bad. They pump in from one side and out the other, as you can see in the middle of the truck.
They also pump out the front of the truck, and the back, from the tank, but they only use the sides to pump from a pool or wharf hydrant.
The four inch connector (in the driver's side) is for pumping out of ponds and pools, while the 2-1/2 is on both sides and it's for the hydrants.
Just FYI ...
On 8/7/2014 2:26 AM, Danny D. wrote:

CY: Fairly short truck, compared to what I see in NYS.

CY: Hmm. Some trucks in NY pump in or out of front, but mostly from sides.

CY: Sounds a bit like NY. The larger black rigid hose is for suction.

CY: Thanks. Bummer about the wharf hydrants not being useful.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That's scary. I assume all the results will end up in a report to the county. At leas I hope so. Keep us informed.
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:06:58 AM UTC-4, CRNG wrote:

get a sample of the grey water and have it tested..