100 pound propane 25 gallons tied to 500 gallons how

We have a new 5T limit on the road where the propane truck is 17T (3500 gallon bobtail they say).

Propane company has small 100 pound 25 gallon tanks they say can be hooked up instead of the standalone 500 gallon tank.

I just want to know more about how this works.

There is no gauge so you have to lift it up to tell if it's full they told me. And they said they move the "pigtail" from one tank to the other.

Can these things be bought in bulk for an entire neighborhood? Can they be refilled in place at our homes somehow? Or do they have to be replaced like the propane company said?

Is there a way to put them in parallel or series?

How does this work for emergency situations which may last 18 months until the road is fixed?

Reply to
Harry Williams

I had a 100 gal tank for my little fireplace. They fill it. They never replace it. There are many sizes avail. Series is just hooking up the next one when low or out. You will always know when you are down to one tank. Op q is a bit confusing.

Reply to
Thomas

There are magnetic tank level indicators. The reviews on Amazon don't look too promising. Would 500 gallon tanks on trailers be an option? There are quite a few pictures of those online.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

5T is 10,000 pounds.

500 gallons is 2000 pounds. Tthat leaves 8000 pounds for the truck. Seems reasonable if 8000 pound trucks exist.

Another catch is that it's a felony to transport more than 600 or 800 pounds without a special license.

So it has to be a hazardous materials licensed driver and an 8000 pound truck.

Any guess what the truck that carries the 2000 pound trailer weighs?

Reply to
Harry Williams

I have two of those tanks but I only use it for cooking. No gauge, they come once a year and fill them.

They can put two in series and when one empties, switch to the other. In you case it sounds like they have to swap out the tank as the truck cannot use the road. Inconvenient but can be done.

Alternative it to rent a bulldozer and put in a new road from another direction.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd be more interested in knowing how big the boom would be if something went south. The shockwave would be impressive to say the least.

Reply to
Diesel

A Nissan Frontier weighs in at about 3,500 pounds. Towing capacity 6,500 pounds. So a running gear with a tank would need to be 4,500 pounds or less.

I wonder if that applies to individuals hauling their own stuff. If you're desperate, meet the truck on his side of the bridge?

I live in a rural area. It's not unusual to see a regular pickup pulling a trailer with 2, 1000 gallon tanks of anhydrous ammonia. Like these:

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

since its a matter of health and safety in regards to your house, can you apply for permit to allow an exemption to the limit...

Reply to
ZZyXX

Check with your local police. The weight restriction may only apply to "thru" traffic. Local propane, fuel oil and fire trucks may be exempt.

Politely ask the officer what they would do if a government regulation cut off vital services to their house.

Reply to
Look

It makes me wonder how much a fire truck weighs.

"No, sorry, we can't put out your house; we're not allowed to drive down your road."

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Yes, it does.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One odd last thought would be pulling a trailer with a farm tractor. Messing with all those small tanks sounds like a real hassle.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman