How much are you really paying for electricity?

Same where I live. I can buy my electricity and gas from a few different suppliers, but it always gets delivered by the lone utility company in the area.
No one has ever been able to explain to me how they know which kWh hours are mine so that the ones I'm paying for end up in my panel. Are they bar coded or something?
No. Your name is assigned to the kWh as they come tumbling out of the generator. It's one of those things about electricity -- it has to be used the instant its generated - no exceptions. It sure keeps the folks at the power house busy making and keeping track of those assignments, however.
Tomsic

I have bought many items off Ebay. Sometimes I see an item I am interested for say - $20 with free shipping. Another seller may list exactly the same item for $.01 but charge $19.99 for shipping. If you bought the item for $.01, do you actually believe you didn't pay $20. What comes out of your pocket is what comes out your pocket. Don't psych yourself or pretend it is only numerical semantics.

I never said - and would never say - that I didn't pay $20.
I specifically added the asterisks around the words *for the item*.
If I paid $20 with free shipping, then I paid $20 *for the item*.
If I paid $.01 with $19.99 for shipping, then I paid $.01 *for the item* and $19.99 for shipping.
You paid $0.06968 *for the item* - a kWh.
The rest of your cost was for the delivery of said item.
You did not pay $0.149 for the kWh which is why that price was not what was listed on your bill.

the second one is a better deal if you happen to live in a state that will charge sales tax on internet items
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Good point. Except the sales tax people tax shipping, too.

in my state labor generally isn't taxed. shipping is labor, so I doubt that it is taxed
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Perhaps it varies. From the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue:
"If the item(s) being shipped is taxable, the shipping and handling charges are also subject to tax. If the item(s) being shipped is not subject to Sales Tax, neither are the shipping and handling charges. In the case where items being shipped are of a mixed (both taxable and nontaxable) nature, then the shipping and handling charges for the entire shipment are subject to tax."

I should have written Services instead of Labor and this is from http://accounting.ucdavis.edu/ta/salesanduse.cfm which may or be generally applicable, but I'll project that it is. So I was right and wrong. Shipping is tax free, handling isn't
Shipping and Handling Common carrier transportation charges from a vendor to a purchaser are not taxable if the charges are separately stated. Common carriers include UPS, FedEx, US Mail, freight lines, etc. Sometimes common carriers add a hazard charge, insurance charge, or something similar, none of which are taxable.
Delivery charges are taxable when a vendor uses their own vehicle to deliver the item purchased. For example, if Sears delivers a refrigerator.
Handling charges are taxable. Shipping and handling charges when billed as a lump sum are treated as taxable, even though the actual shipping charges are not technically taxable.
--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna
On 3/14/2012 1:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Agree, nothing dishonest or confusing.
What is dishonest and confusing is when someones marketing department pitches "electricity only costs $0.06/kwh so you can recharge the Government Motors obamamobile 2012 for $0.85"

With all added extras our cost is $0.1389 per KWH WW
WW wrote:

Which is really only useful information if we know where you live.
Which appears to be in (or near) Purchase, NY (in Westchester County).

Central Colorado WW
WW wrote:

Ah, another spectacular failure of ip-2-location (which located you based on the headquarters of the real owners of your ISP).
Edge wrote:

You could save a great deal of money by picking up your electricity at the generating station.
On second thought, probably not.
Lot of farmers do that.
You could save a great deal of money by picking up your electricity at the generating station.
On second thought, probably not.
Edge wrote:

Our rates change with the seasons, summer tacks on extra as you go over some set amount, then there is a winter rate that remains fixed and spring and fall rates. Soon we are to get smart meters then there will be extra charges during peak use hours in the summer. Some day I'm going to get around to putting the kil-a-watt on the big screen and try to determine what that thing actually costs to run 24/7.
On 3/14/2012 9:56 AM, Edge wrote:

Here is a copy of my bill from Dec 13th to Feb 13th
Ontario Canada. Basically a CDN Dollar is equal to a US Dollar these days.
HST is a 13% sales tax Ontario Clean Energy Benefit is a Government refund for using Solar or Wind, basically buying votes Debt Retirement charge is to help the Utility pay off all the money it borrowed from the Government to build 5 nuclear power plants.
Off peak is electricity used from 7 pm to 7 am weekdays and all day/night weekends
Mid peak is 11am to 5pm weekdays
On peak is 7am to 11am and 5pm to 7pm Weekdays
My house is two adults and 1 baby, 1700 sq feet 1967 side-split bungalow with gas dryer/gas stove oven/gas furance/ gas water heater
-------- Your Electricity Charges
OFF Peak @ 6.2 943.64 kwhr $58.51 MID Peak @ 9.2 192.07 kwhr $17.67 ON Peak @ 10.8 250.78 kwhr $27.08 Delivery Charge $62.30 Regulatory Charge $9.54 Debt Retirement Charge 1,320.62 kwhr $9.24 Total Electricity Charges $184.34 HST $23.96 Subtotal $208.30 Ontario Clean Energy Benefit (-10%) 20.83CR
Region Water Charges (Residential) Service Charge mtr size 20 MM $44.64 Consumption Charge 31.00 cubic metres $56.87 Total Halton Region Water Charges $101.51
I should add that we had blower issues with our furance and had to run the blower 24/7 for about 2 weeks which drove up our bill about $20 and we had to heat our home with a bunch of 1500 Watt electric heaters for 3 days which prolly added about $15 to our bill. Our normal winter bill is about $170.00

.1597 total here in CT. That is actually down a bit from last year. My generation rate right now is .0798. A couple of year ago, the power company rate was much higher and I was almost 20 total.

Does K-Y come with that?