How much are you really paying for electricity?

Page 5 of 7

if you were twice as smart as you hope you are, you'd still be the same aspiring idiot
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 15:43:09 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

...and you revert back to IKWYABWAI. Shoulda known. You don't have any other tricks, other than your sister.

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 21:02:16 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You must be a public school kid.

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 15:36:26 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Such originality, Malodorous.

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:45:46 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Such originality, Malodorous.

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 21:29:09 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Such originality, Malodorous.

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:59:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Such originality, Malodorous.

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more
On 3/16/2012 9:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Only if your point of reference is "dittohead skool".
Since man has been on the earth there are those without a moral compass who will do whatever is necessary to enrich themselves.
Suppose we went with a real free market? How do you think it would work out if there were no weights and measures laws and inspections? How about dropping licensing requirements for doctors? How about dropping drug laws relating to purity, sterility and strength? How about dropping food and meat inspection requirements? How about dropping safety and licensing rules regarding planes and pilots?

Then how is it that these alternate suppliers can provide power at 10% less than the regular power company here in NJ? Why is it that competition that results in everything from fast food to autos at market efficient prices, is a bad thing when it comes to energy?
On 3/16/2012 9:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Actually things were working quite well pre-deregulation. Our electric utility was well run, making a buck, their stock was paying a good dividend and they provided power at a fair price.
There were numerous players touting "10% savings" in my state but that was marketing vs reality. If you closely analyzed the savings none actually provided it over the long term.
I believe there is only one reseller "alternate supplier" left for us to choose at this point.
George wrote:

"Competition" is about more than just price. We have about twenty electricity suppliers in my area. They compete on price, sure, but others offer competitive challenges:
* Pay in advance, no credit check * "Green" energy * Raidoactive-free electricity * 10% Renewable Energy (i.e., whale oil) * 5% derived from Unicorns on Treadmills * Every month a 10% off coupon for something you probably don't need (Hair braiding, VW Bug tune-ups, Kittens, Grease Trap Cleaning, etc.).
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:21:30 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Why not ask the regulators why they let the power companies screw you? As a typical homeowner, you've seen very little of what is really going on. Try buying power for even a small industrial user and you'll be begging to have the old system back.
How much power will you be using on a daily bases for the duration of your three year contract?
Then you have scenarios like: Yes, we know that week you only used 10,000KW per day, but you said you wee going to use 15,000KW and since you did not notify us 30 days ahead, we're going to charge you for it anyway.
Oh, you used 18,000KW instead of the 15k contracted. Sure, we supplied it but we have to charge you this penalty and higher rate.
Natural gas is just as bad. You can get some really low rates in summer if you have the right contract. That contract though, may stipulate that you stop using gas completely if they call you at any time with four hours notice. You must have an alternate source of energy (usually oil) or you just shot your plant down.

You think maybe some of that might be the result of govt regulation? For example, it was the Obama administration that is shoving smart meters down our throats, with the intent of monitoring your usage and charging different rates based on what you do, whether you use according to what they think you should use, etc. And utilities are being forced to buy less carbon based energy and more renewable. So, it would not surprise me at all to find out that a good part of what you are seeing is because of regulation, not de-regulation. There have been plenty of changes besides partial de-regulation that have occured in the last couple of decades.

Well, yeah, I guess if you want that low rate, locked in, etc, there are some conditions that come with it. No surprise there. Are you claiming if I have a company running glass blowing ovens I can't just buy nat gas like everyone else, ie not at the locked rate? No such problems here in NJ and right now nat gas prices are the lowest they've been in many years.