Car Question

Page 3 of 3
On 11/9/2015 10:05 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I was able to repair such a situation one time, remove the bolt and.... oh, never mind. I've offered twice to tell. Nothing to see here, move along. I need all you civillians to step back.

I have a 1/2 inch copper coupling. If I split it linearly, I can put it over the batt neg termianal - while providing the needed/ added radius for myexisting battery clamp. I will cover the terminals with axle grease, to limit future corrosion.
I hope that there is no Galvanic reaction: Copper to lead?
On 11/10/2015 1:50 PM, Rob snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I hope my house does not fall apart from galvanic reaction. All the copper tubing is soldered with lead.
A bunch cut.

I heard long ago the best thing to use is anti seize compound. I have been and it seems to help a lot.

Dean Hoffman wrote:

Check with periodic chart?
This is pretty much unrelated to the current squabble between Derby and me, and it's certainly not the reason I'm posting.

Except, I admit that I wouldn't have found this if I hadn't been looking up battery groups. One google hit was called Car Battery Types & Group Sizes, Skip this, unless you really want to see it: http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/auto-services/batteries/type-group-size/
but the top half was just a way to pick a Firestone battery (which is an Interstate battery) so I filled in my car's details and it came up with 3 batteries. And two of them have the + on the right and one on the left!!!!. Well, Firestone is where I bought my last battery, and where they gave me the wrong one (see my quoted text above) and now I see why. But this was 3 or 4 years ago and their computer is still wrong!!!!
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/auto-services/batteries/search?return=true&battery.year 00&battery.make=Toyota&battery.model=Solara&battery.engine=V6%2F3.0L&zip!244&method=vehicle#
(I think he gave me 3 batteries in total. I forget what was wrong with the first one. Too big maybe. ) Then I think he gave me the third one on the list. When I brought it back to him a few minutes later, he gave me one just like it with the opposite posts, one that is plainly not on the list. I was pleased that I hadn't scuffed it up, sort of blaming myself I guess that I didn't notice right away that it was backwards (and btw the cables in this car only move an inch or two) but now I realize it wasn't his fault, which is what I had thought, but it was Firestone's, or that of whoever provides their data.
I"m going to call him tomorrow and tell him their computer is wrong.
Not only that, it asked for my zip code and I gave it and instead of giving me the branch that's only a mile from my home and in the same zipcode, it gave me one 6 miles away.
I'm going to tell him that too. I've only been using this computer for 2 or 3 months and I've never been to a Firestone page before, and certainly never chose "my store". It should have gone by the zipcode.
On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 12:19:20 -0500, Rob snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If it is too small you bought the wrong battery. (assuming the clamp fit the old battery)
On 11/5/2015 12:19 PM, Rob snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Years ago, I had such a situation with a top post battery. I took the end bolt out of the clamp, and used a hacksaw to gently remove some metal from the clamp. Then, it would tighten.
As others have suggested, be certain sure you have the correct terminal positions, and the right choice of pos and neg clamps and posts.
It would probably be possible to draw an ASCII illustration, but it would take a long time. Be easier to draw some illustrations, scan to PDF and email to you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young