OT. All American Makers

It's a show on the Science Channel, Wednesday evenings. Inventors try to convince Marc Portney to give them money to progress with their inventions. Portney has two guys that test the products. He also has average group of folk to give their opinion.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The Science Channel is in my cable company's ultra-mega-jumbo programming pack that adds $80/month more to the basic cable bill. That's $960/year! Too rich for my blood. I trimmed my cable bill years ago.

Reply to
Arnie

I was in a Kwik Fill gasoline station this week. On the shelf next to the sales counter they had telescoping rod for sale with a plastic bracket. I read the box, they were "extendign selfie sticks" or some such name. So you could hold your cell phone out and take a picture of your self. I rolled my eyes and said a prayer for the selfish, self absorbed dumb Americans. I bet they sell a million.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They were a thing, then they became passe nearly as fast. Now they're being unloaded at discounters everywhere. I keep wondering if I should get one to use as an extension rod when I need to shoot a photo in a space I can't reach or fit my arm in. Inside a pipe, for instance, or under a car, or hanging over the eave to get a better view of something under the overhang. Or even just to shoot photos at ground level when I don't feel like getting flat on the ground.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

"Makers"! As if.....

They usta be called tinkerers, hobbyists, DIY'ers, even inventors. Some quick-buck artists figured "makers" would launch a whole new generation of clueless consumers and they seem to have gotten it right. Now, everyone is a maker. No longer satisfied with being a mere electronics hobbyist or an ancient ham radio aficionado, they gotta be electronics "makers". Buy "maker" books. Join "maker" clubs. Attend "maker" fairs. I prefer the term, "rubes". ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

DISH has it on their bottom tier of channels. That puts it in line with my budget. I think the invention Portney funded last time was the Coffeeboxx. It's a coffee maker for construction sites. A design expert looked at it and made a couple suggestions Ordinary people gave it their once over. Portney's guys set it between a couple concreter blocks then drove the left rear tire of a car on it. It's interesting to see what the tests for the inventions will be. I hear about some folk's cable or phone bills and am amazed. I can understand for older people or handicapped that can't get around. Healthy people need to get off their butts. I just read that a brisk walk is as good as a hard workout for some things. Article about it here in the Daily Record:

Dean Hoffman

Beats the shit out of watching cat videos on an iPhone. At least they're doing something more or less constructive.

Reply to
rbowman