Not sure if this is the place

I am looking at some used leather for a project. It was salvaged from an old supposedly "high end" chesterfield (couch). It was originally a dark "milk chocolate" brown and on the high wear portions has faded to a "light saddle tan".

The back of the leather is a rich burgundy. It is the same on the worn and unworn portions of the leather. It is not heavily finished as it absorbed significant moisture when left outside on a damp but not rainy day. I am thinking it is top grain, not full grain due to the soft "hand" of the leather and possibly vegetable tanned? It shrivels when dipped into boiling water. Identifying the leather is not critical for my use, but I'm CURIOUS. Ising it dor "upholstery" on the seat of my 1919 Briggs and Stratton Flyer replica.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I don't know diddly-squat about leather, but I sure had to look up the Flyer :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Interesting. I guess it didnt' go backwards.

A.O. Smith Company made my water heaters. They don't have wheels.

Reply to
micky

Making good progress - actually building both a Briggs Flyer and it's twin the AES Red Bug which is electric, Same chassis and running gear, seats and steering for both. The Flyer is a 1919 and the RedBug a

1923-25
Reply to
Clare Snyder

This pages says that almost all of them were red.

Does the unpowered, child-pulled little red wagon called American Flyer relate to this?

Reply to
micky

Not at all Briggs and stratton made a few in Ivory but almost all were red - with varnished wood slats and seat.

Reply to
Clare Snyder