Antifreeze - not just for cars

duh, turn the power back on. It's cheaper than a re-plumb.

Reply to
Steve Barker

sewer gases often include methane, its a natural biproduct of rotting stuff in sewer lines.

can cause explosion............

not good

The OP is far better off letting a friend live there for the price of utilities.

vacant homes are often arson targets, and if homeowners wasnt told home was vacant no coverage:(

Reply to
hallerb

-------------------- water expands 4% when it freezes

paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

And when the water is turned back on, some future moment. A very real concern for sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I agree. Having the power off is unwise. I'd have to ask again. I've forgotten why the power is off. I think one or more of the adult (should behave like them) children owns the house on paper, and the father is acting with great love, helping take care of the house. Even though father is out of work, money is not there, and gasoline to drive to the house is precious.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Toilet replace, I've done that. It's a pain in the ass. Expecially when a pour of antifreeze coulda prevented the problem.

Tipecanoe and a toilet or two?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would have thought that water would expand in three directions, in the process of freezing. It's an interesting concept. For now, I'm doing what I can to help prevent damage to the house.

The expanding washer is intersting, too. But, for later, as you say.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's ballsy!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It rained this afternoon. The radio says tonight a couple inches of snow. That should turn the roads into either ice, or salt water to rust out the cars.

Thursday night going into Friday is forecast very windy, and bitter cold. I'm hoping against hope that there is no water damage. And that the house remains above freezing temp. I'm not really optomistic. It was 38F or so when we left.

Wish there were more mineral in the domestic water. I'll take all the help I can get, at present. I wonder if we can fill the water pipes with salt brine. Most likely that would do more damage than filling with RV antifreeze some how. Sigh.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do remember. There may be horizontal runs of pipe which still contain water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We have done that, excepting the blowing out of lines. I have suggested that, but not yet got approval. I hope you're richly blessed, for your help in spreading the gospel.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The WH is in the subterranian cellar. We *hope* that will stay above freezing. If it gets bitter cold, I can go back, turn turn the gas on at the WH, and it will heat back up. It's on pilot, now. I mighta better left it on super low vacation temp.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Who's gonna help me flush the WH when it gets warmer, or the power is on?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Congress expands 14% when elected. Minimum.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe you installed it the wrong way up? ;)

Reply to
Jules

The obvious solution to cure freezing pipework is to just use pipes that are 4% wider, then.

;-)

Reply to
Jules

These days, stealing the copper plumbing to sell for scrap is a big issue with unoccupied homes.

Reply to
salty

propylene glycol

You can drink it.

Reply to
salty

It disconnects on both end. The first year, I took the head off, and left the hose hanging down to floor level. This year, I blew air through it backwards. You ice proof the sprayer by removing all water from it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It has an alcohol base, IIRC, and that evaporates.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B