Mixing Timbor and antifreeze as DIY Boracare (2023 Update)

I have a fairly serious dry rot problem in a plywood floor over a crawlspace. i have dug out all the rot i can find and replaced the bad wood. Then i looked for a treatment to keep the rot from coming back. Boracare was expensive and although there were many homemade treatments, they were involved to make. I read several articles that said a solution of timbor and glycol would be the equivalent to Boracare.

There was even some confusion as to what kind of glycol. The glycol in Boracare is ethylene glycol as I learned from the materials sheet on the Boracare site, Apparently Propylene glycol will work but is not nearly as effective in carrying the borates into the wood.

There was also NOTHING I could find on how well Timbor would dissolve in antifreeze (ethylene glycol). What I learned through experimentation is that antifreeze mixed 50/50 with water disolves Timbor very well without heating. Mixture is 1 gallon antifreeze mixed 50/50 with water (or 1 gallon prediluted antifreeze) mixed with 1 bag of Timbor (1.5 lbs). Takes about 15 to 30 minutes to completely dissolve.

I sprayed this mixture on some 3/4" plywood and it soaked in like a sponge. It wasn't instantaneous But a heavy coat applied with a garden sprayer soaked in completely in about 15 minutes.

Of course I can't report on effectiveness yet, but I see no reason it won't be as effective as Boracare. I will inspect and hopefully report back in a year.

Hope this helps someone.

Reply to
Schuh

replying to Schuh, Jonathan Cook wrote: I have heated antifreeze outside and was able to dissolve the proper amount of timbor that should be dissolved in water.. If sprayed through garden sprayer when hot will work, but too thick to spray when it cools down.. I think boracare says must mix with water so I wonder if there is an advantage to adding some water. I just used straight antifreeze and solubor because I believe it is exactly the same as timbor but cheaper. .

Reply to
Jonathan Cook

replying to Jonathan Cook, EmberCare wrote: Hi and thanks for posting your experience. I'm using Timbor as a flame retardant and the glycol is supposed help it penetrate painted surfaces.

Reply to
EmberCare

This is the answer that I have been looking for! Every site regurgitates to same story, mixing up the wording, formula, products because they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Your formula is going to work well, and is much cheaper than products on the market that do the same thing. Much appreciated!

Reply to
AO

Is it 1 gallon antifreeze+1gallon water +1,5lb timbor or half gallon antifreeze+half gallon water+1,5 lb timbor?

Reply to
Pacalarc

I have the same question. Did you ever get an answer? Thanks/

Reply to
JQ

No, so I mixed the concoction by guessing.I ordered Timbor from USA eBay (disodium octaborate tetrahydrate -

and also purchased 100% ethylene glycol (antifreeze) + benzalkonium chloride (an antibacterial substance found in hand sanitizers) from UK eBay. I simply mixed them cold, but it might be better (and riskier) to boil them. First, I added a little water to the Timbor, then mixed in the ethylene glycol and benzalkonium chloride. I have somewhere the percentage of the mixture; I'll find out later. I remember something like 50-50 Timbor and ethylene glycol, and about 15% benzalkonium chloride relative to the whole, but I mostly eyeballed it. If you can, add some color to the mixture so you can see where you've applied it. My mixture aggressively reacted with the decaying wood, foaming and bubbling like the blood of aliens in The X-Files.

In Hungary, you can only get a watery solution with these ingredients: 2% active substance and 98% water. The 2% active substance is a combination of the 3rd ingredient. I think this diluted solution is just a joke; it may only whet the appetite of fungi and insects. Why would I soak decaying wood in water? That's why I prepared the antifreeze tuning solution. For the other batches, I didn't add water; instead, I used the green mixture for its color, so I could see where I applied it.

Reply to
Pacalarc

Thanks for your response. Rot here is not much of an issue so I think just the anti-freeze and Timbor might be the way for me to go. I have 4 gallons of Boracare sitting in customs and that has persuaded me to try something else.

Reply to
JQ