Someone just told me that many rehabbers use automotive antifreeze to kill
mold, mildew, stop degeneration of rotting wood, etc. Can anybody confirm
this? I can't find anything about it on the web.
I think that someone is full of baloney. Ethylene glycol is water
soluble (obviously) which pretty much prevents it being of great value
as a wood preservative, it isn't particularly toxic other than by
ingestion so suspect its use as a fungicide would be of minimal
effectiveness as well (although that's an opinion not the result of any
known research). Add to the questionable effectiveness as compared to
products designed for the purpose the sticky residue it leaves and the
ingestion hazard to pets, etc., can't see why anyone would go that route
over solution-specific products. It isn't all that cheap anymore, either...
I suspect the primary reason you can't find it on the web is because it
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.