Adding a little antifreeze to sprinkler line.

Last week I blew out my sprinklers. I borrowed a compressor from a friend. Then today while trying to hook up my hose to wash my car, I accidentally hit the gate valve to my sprinkler feed line and a little water got in to the PVC line that goes from my hose bib to the sprinkler manifold under my deck. I was thinking if I poured a little antifreeze into the line it would prevent any freezing from whatever little water got in there. Any drawbacks to doing this? (I have since removed the gate handle so it will not happen again).

Reply to
Mikepier

How would you get the antifreeze out in the spring?

Reply to
John Grabowski

better blow it again. the smallest amount of water will pool in a low spot, and if that's not 24" or better underground, it's gonna freeze and break pvc. Pouring antifreeze in there will probably just push the water further downline.

Steve Barker DLT

turn the water on. it'll blow out the sprinkler heads. duh.

Steve Barker DLT

BTDT........had the same thing happen in another situation where someone "re-hotted" my blown out sprinkler line.

I considered the antifreeze solution but I just bit the bullet and the did the compressor thing again because I didn't want to be blowing antifreeze on my lawn / shrubs in the spring.

I also removed the handle so the mistake was less likely.

Tell your friend what happened...I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I think you'd better check out the following:

Here's an excerpt:

"The freezing point of an anti-freeze/coolant solution depends on the concentration of the solution, and rises when the ratio of antifreeze to water exceeds 60%. . . . ethylene glycol, the principal component of most antifreezes, freezes at 8 degrees above zero, Fahrenheit. It is only when water is added that the freezing point is depressed."

Reply to
Erma1ina

ethylene glycol is a really good plant killer too (and nothing usually regrows where it has been spilt) so would you really want to flush it out later by turning the sprinklers on?

Reply to
aussiblu

Google "ethylene glycol weedkiller"

Reply to
aussiblu

just flat not true. i've been flushing cooling systems on grass for years and never killed any yet.

Steve Barker DLT

Strange; the grass has refused to grow back where I spilt some from my car on my lawn. It will of course depend on if the coolant contains ethylene glycol or propylene glycol; the latter is safer.

Reply to
aussiblu

"aussiblu" wrote in news:AF7Pk.10256$sc2.5800 @news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Not privy to it but don't they make some kind of non-toxic antifreeze for RV's or something?

Reply to
Red Green

Good to know. I'll look for ethylene glycol to spray on area where there is poison ivy.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

best to always try to keep water lines clean of impurities. if there's ever a drop in the main water pressure from the street, a contaminant becomes a cross feed problem to those in your home and potentially your neighbors. i'd choose air over the recreational vehicle non-toxic antifreeze. never the toxic stuff.

-b

Reply to
buffalobill

I have some old vodka lying in the basement. That's safe.

Reply to
Mikepier

best to always try to keep water lines clean of impurities. if there's ever a drop in the main water pressure from the street, a contaminant becomes a cross feed problem to those in your home and potentially your neighbors. i'd choose air over the recreational vehicle non-toxic antifreeze. never the toxic stuff.

Sprinkler systems must be designed to avoid this problem anyway. Otherwise, they can draw groundwater into the city water pipes if the water pressure is shut off for repairs.

Reply to
Bob F

Just use roundup poison ivy killer. Works a treat and doesn't have every kid in the neighborhood in tears because her pussycat died horribly.

Reply to
J. Clarke

yes, and that's what would be proper for a sprinkler system anyway. Everyone jumped to wrong conclusions as usual. (and they were wrong about it, at that)

Steve Barker DLT

try round up or brush killer. but you'll have to keep after it several times for a whole season.

Steve Barker DLT

a proper system will have an anti backflow valve on it. AND the situation is more of a long shot that getting hit by lightning in a church anyway.

best to always try to keep water lines clean of impurities. if there's ever a drop in the main water pressure from the street, a contaminant becomes a cross feed problem to those in your home and potentially your neighbors. i'd choose air over the recreational vehicle non-toxic antifreeze. never the toxic stuff.

-b

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

Well that's obvious, but I thought that blowing antifreeze all over the lawn was not good for the environment as well as the grass.

Reply to
John Grabowski