Antifreeze - not just for cars

"DD_BobK" wrote

4% relative to what?

cheers Bob

Volume? What do I win?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B
1) do nothing 2) gravity drain (been done) 3) blow out with compressed air 4) pump some antifreeze into the water lines, some how 5) power back on, or some form of heat source 6) leave water dribbling

Maybe I missed one?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, in light of what I wrote (text left in) there is a chance you can determine if the cold house has electric water heater.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is, on mine. The wax ring is a bit sticky, so I smeared vaseline on the wax top. Now, it works fine. I've had to invest in cold packs, I keep sliding off and hitting my head on the sink.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If the sprayer hose is removed, doesn't water come spraying out?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gravity drain is free and easy, and requires no other equipment other than a beer, which you enjoy while standing there saying "Yep. It's draining."

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not if you shut off the water supply and drained the pipes, while sipping your specially designated beer.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Don't count on it doing a complete enough job to prevent damage from a freeze-up. There are many reasons why portions of plumbing may not drain unless the lines are blown out with compressed air.

Reply to
salty

this thread is rapidly going down the toilet...

Reply to
Jules

Please don't take this the wrong way, but as we can see at the web site below, many religions include some very odd practices. Is there anything in the Mormon religion which prohibits the draining of pipes?

But the chicken thing seems just as weird as the e-meter. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Horizontal runs aren't always horizontal, especially after the house settles. There is also no strong imperative to make all plumbing run downhill. Whole sections of a house may remain full as a result. You really don't want even one burst pipe!

Reply to
salty

Being Mormon, and the house belongs to a practicing Mormon, that's more likely to be a rootbeer than a real beer. But, the thought counts. Ease of operation is important. Gravity drain is also less dependant on equipment. Doesn't need a balky generator to start, for example.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's my concern. Might be horizontal pipes with sags.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You think we should clean up our crappy language?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can't believe you said that. You are obviously a communist. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A 1/2 inch pipe that is run more or less horizontal but is 3/4 inch higher at one end than the other is enough to cause a disaster.

Now think about how easy it would be for that condition to exist!

Reply to
salty

wrote

BTDT. Particularly traps, the bow from any kitchen or bathroom "snakes" sprayers, and wherever there's a bow that traps water.

It was 4 below zero in the town near our cabin, and probably ten more than that at the cabin. We'll see how good a job we did winterproofing when we fire it up in the spring.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"mm" wrote

Probably varies with brands.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

at least flush your mouth out with soapy water!

Reply to
Jules

I'm not a communist! I voted for Stalin!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon