Antifreeze - not just for cars

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:QFbUm.103077$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe25.iad:

LOL! That e-meter is nothing more than a Ouija board. That's not really fair to say that though...to the Ouija board.

Reply to
Red Green

use compressed air to blow out all the water lines, after first draining them........

or wait till spring and upgrade to PEX, which will be far cheaper than replacing copper.

and when the plaster cracks from the expansion and contranction it wouldnt matter, since walls and cielings will have to be opened to acceess leaking lines.

hey and replace some appliances,

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
Steve Barker

Definitely. I suspect the "reporter" of the story is really into storytelling, to put it politely.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OK, OK, I see it! Gawd, please help me read more betterer.

Reply to
Tony

I hold the owner in high regard. I'm not totally sure who has the paper for the house. But, the fellow I'm working with is a very fine person.Who has had more disasters and setbacks than any man should. Perhaps some to his credit, and some are just life's challenges.

Sadly, the rental house is 45 minute or so drive from me, and a part of the world I never go on work. So, I don't have the "well, I'm going that way any way" excuse. And the place is locked up, I'd have to ask for the key. He keeps "not wanting to impose".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Who can tell? The BS artist who told me this, he's told some windies. But, then, I've heard of some really strange stuff in the city.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He also says they got a dog some time after the pipes in the cellar came up missing. I've heard of AC units getting stripped while at the curb side. Actually, I've driven past and seen curbside AC with the copper yanked out. And the copper coil from TV sets, those get yanked.

Who can tell?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I can tell. Your friend needs to get to an AA meeting, and quick.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I finally gave up on the friendship, after the third time in a couple months that I got sick from contact. Twice was they didn't tell me the 5 year old nephew had a cold, and the other time was when he fixed me a salmonella burger. So, I'm no longer in contact.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Me smells a troll ..........

Reply to
Steve B

I agree. As long as you go around and make sure that there are no deflections of over 1/4 inch anywhere, and everything checks perfect with a level at all points, you have nothing to worry about.

Traps will always be full unless they have not been used in long enough that the water has evaporated.

Reply to
salty

You could use a plunger on a sink (new would be a good choice) and get nearly all the water out (pushing not pulling).

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

Around here it occasionally gets cold enough to damage plumbing but the temp has to drop to 15F or lower for several days before there is a plumbers bonanza. It's my understanding that in colder parts of the country, folks setup the plumbing system so that it's easily drained and also configured in such a way that compressed air can be used to blow out any residual water. It seems to me that a plumbing company could have a service where they could justify the expense of a large high volume air compressor like those used for jackhammers and go from one customer to another to clear their lines or blow a nontoxic antifreeze mix through a system. With all of the foreclosures going on, the creditors would probably have an interest in some sort of mothballing service.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Tony wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

It's just your turn Tony :-) That's neeeeever happened to me.

Reply to
Red Green

I think I know these people, or one of their 400,000 clones!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The sink and toilet traps have been antifreezed. Now, the concern turns to pipes in the walls.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm in NYS, and a friend of mine in South Carolina knows an identical someone. Product of the welfare system. Born, bred, and kept alive by taxpayer dollars. The person in question has been employed, for up to a couple weeks at a time. Married a welfare woman, with three welfare daughters. Mom watches Rikki Lake, Sally Jessy, and all the daytime drams. The three daughters now in their teens all have boyfriends, and one also has girlfriends. Lives at present entirely on taxpayer dollars. Declares that it's not welfare. It's some other program, but not welfare. Watches Cable TV, with cable internet, smokes, and has already been brought back to life after a massive heart attack. Takes four or five pills a day, paid by the tax payer. Gave up salt for his health, but still smokes two packs a day. Packs which are purchased with tax payer money.

Did you hear about the guy who had a clone made of himself? Problem is, the clone had a potty mouth. Finally he pushed the clone to his death, off a cliff. The police charged him with making an obscene clone fall.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

DRUM CRASH!

It's fun to hear people talking about NY as if it's all like NYC & Westchester. But, as you've seen, there's an awful lot of banjo country out this way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

you never want sewer gas to be allowed in your home!!

sewer gas can have gasoline, natural gas and other explosive vapors besides bad stink.

the cost of antifreeze is low, the cost of fixing the damage can be a killer

Reply to
hallerb