About recalls for runaway cars.

Page 7 of 10

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:31:50 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

but foot operated starters will still relatively common through the fourties. Just about all had dash mounted push-button or key operated starters in the fifties. 1948 Olds still had a foot operated starter, so I'm pretty sure your '38 Chevvie did too. Hudson/Nash had foot starters up to '55, Stude to '54, and some Chevy trucks up 'till '59.
As a general rule, MOST vehicles had moved away from the floor mounted starter by the time they went to 12 volt systems
The dimmer on the floor was pretty well standard on American cars up into the early '80s and on trucks into the '90s.

And you sound like a hot-dog driver who can't lift his right foot off the gas and let the vehicle slow down a bit in anticipation of needing to brake.
You, Ashton Crusher - are a DANGEROUS driver - and an accident just waiting to happen...
And it WILL happen. Just a questiopn of when and how serious.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:37:36 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yeah, If that makes you feel better. Lets go over it again.....
LFB creates GREATER safety all other things being equal. That means if YOU did exactly what you do now in terms of when you lift your right foot off the gas, how fast you go, how much following distance you leave, etc, but made two changes, that you would be able to create, at no cost, the equivalent of 3 extra car lengths of space in front of you. Those two changes would be 1 - use your left foot to brake instead of your right and 2 - move it into position EARLIER then you normally would lift your right foot off the throttle by about 2 to 3 seconds.
That's it in the simplest terms. Now, please explain how my (or you) adding 3 effective additional car lengths of following distance makes me a dangerous driver. And don't tell me it's because my feet will get confused, in decades of driving it has NEVER happened.
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:03:40 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

There seems to be some serious misunderstanding of what left foot braking is. You don't just put your foot on the brake pedal, or put your foot over the pedal, and leave it there for the whole time you are driving. You mostly just have it resting on the floor, just like you would if you used your right foot. However, when a situation comes up where you *might* need to brake you get ready to brake by moving your foot over the pedal, and if you are experienced and skilled, you might be touching, NOT pressing, the pedal. You might hold that position for only a few seconds to half a minute. In heavy traffic you might be moving your foot in and out of that position several times per mile if the traffic situation warrants. And of course some of the time you actually apply the brakes. But you don't just hover your foot over the pedal till your leg goes numb.

Yep, you have said it over, and over, and over repeatedly to the point of asininity. Thus far you have made zero progress in showing one iota of advantage to it and have not refuted any of the rebuttals. The only possible advantage is that fraction of a second reaction and that only counts in an emergency - when, per you, you don't even have your foot near the pedal.
For the record, back in the 60s when there _was_ some push for it, I practiced it for awhile. Gave it up as I could see no reason for it.
Harry K

Harry, that advantage doesn't exist either. In the described situation, you or I would have REMOVED our right foot from the gas pedal. The way Ashton is operating, while he has his left foot hoovering, he still has his right foot on the gas. So, when it's time to stop. doing it our way, the throttle is already closed. His way, he has to take his right foot off the gas pedal and use the left one to apply the brakes. I'd say having to release the throttle, the time it takes for the engine to react, etc. easily negates any tiny margin of time advantage to the left foot method.
I'm having a hard time understanding the use of the word "safety" in the context of someone who sees traffic conditions that may require an imminent stop, yet they are going down the road with one foot holding the throttle open and the other hoovering over the brake. I'd like to see any online reference that says that is the safer or correct way to drive.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:52:05 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

You are the one who said "after hours on the road you will relax those muscles" in regard to them inadvertently pushing on the pedal so clearly YOU did NOT understand what I said the first several times I said it. So if anyone is asinine it is you. And the advantage of LFB has been outlined several times, you just choose to ignore those advantages (smoother driving, shorter reaction times)
If you tried it and didn't like it that's fine. I have tried RFB (with AT cars) and could see no reason for it. That said, I have never attacked those who prefer RFB because of that preference. But every time LFB gets mentioned it and whoever mentioned it is savagely attacked, completely out of proportion to any of the alleged defects in it. The reactions to LFB are really quite interesting.

And you just _know_ that you never activate the brake lights just how?
Harry K
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:28:57 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Because doing so causes my lockup torque converter to unlock and that's very noticeable.

??? Never heard of the brake 'unlocking the torque coverter' but then I haven't heard of a lot of things. Any cite for that?
Harry K
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:53:10 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

So what? Lifting your foot off the gas unlocks the converter too. Guess that's why the "Crusher" doesn't want to lift his foot untill he has to stop. Must be worried about "burning out the clutch"
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:48:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe you and Harry and a couple others who can't drive and use two feet have no interest in how well you drive or how defensively you drive but some of us do.

Probably the best way to defensive drive is to stay off the roads and highways when some "elitist" know-it-all is practicing his left foot dance over the brake pedal and consequently following too closely as he thinks (or knows) that he has an advantage of a couple of seconds over me in his braking reaction. So, next time you venture forth, post a sign in your window stating that a LF driver is about.
==

They should make all LFBers hook the brake light to the horn. I'll bet they would quit doing it.
Harry K

Please quote where I have ever said I follow closer then anyone else. The only "elitist" know-it-all's here are harry and clare who claim to know what's best for everyone else. I've just stated my preference, I've never said I think you or anyone else is a hazard if you don't do it my way. But you and harry and clare and a few others keep claiming ANYONE who LFB is a hazard - you folks are the very epitome of "elitist" know-it-all's

What you claimed was this:
"I hold my foot in the air for anywhere from perhaps a few seconds to half a minute. It moves back and forth between resting next to the pedal and hovering over the pedal when I want to be ready for braking. It's all just second nature. If traffic is slowing up ahead my left foot will shadow the brake without my right foot moving at all and I just maintain speed. I can easily cut a half second of reaction time if something happens, which translates to 44 extra feet to stop in at 60 mph and in the process I don't have to jerk the passengers back and forth taking my right foot off the gas to be ready. "
Faced with that same situation, I would simply take my foot off the gas pedal and start applying the brakes to increase the separation. I think Harry and any other driver concerned with safety would too. I think that is what any driving school today would teach. Do you disagree? As for jerking the passengers back and forth, I don't know what kind of vehicles you are driving or how you drive, but seeing a need to increase separation in traffic, I do it all the time without jerking anyone around.
You choose to focus on one half of the equation, which is the slight fraction of a second reaction time advantage having your left foot hoovering in the air over the brake pedal brings. You completely ignore the other obvious part, which is doing it your way, you still have to account for the time it takes your right foot to come off the gas pedal, the throttle to close, etc. Doing it our way, you are already slowing down, increasing the separation margin, instead of hauling ass down the highway maintaining a smaller separation, while thinking you are safe because you have some stopping distance advantage. That's why I say your methods are unsafe.
You have a paradox in your theory that is insurmountable which others have pointed out as well. You admit you only cover the brake when you think you need the tiny fraction of a second margin you say it brings. Yet, if it is foreseeable, then instead of covering the brake, the really safe thing to do is simply slow down right then. And for the true emergency, your left foot is no closer to the brake pedal than a right foot driver's. In fact, it may be actually farther away than a right foot driver's foot that is on the gas pedal.
I also think others who have said the hoovering method can lead to riding the brakes have a valid point. I see people on the highway occasionally with the brake lights flashing on and off for no apparent rational reason. Not a lot, but then there aren't a lot of left foot brakers either. I personally don't know a single one. I would suspect that when you use the hoovering method, it's easy to start to just rest that left foot on the brake pedal. After all, that allows you to be even safer right? Then your foot is right there on the brake most or all of the time.
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 05:15:20 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It's really quite simple. Instead of you making up what I do just listen to what I do. I do exactly what you RFBers do EXCEPT I start my preparation about half a second, sometimes more, before you do by moving my LEFT foot into position (half a second+ before you would be moving your right foot off the gas and over the brake). There's no difference in following distance compared to you. There IS a difference in reaction time however, I have at least as 0.2 second advantage over you, about 20 feet. On the freeway that can easily be the difference between running into someone and not, you would have run into them, I would not have.

It is called maintaining a safe following distance. If you would quit tailgating you wouldn't need that .2 sec.
Harry K
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:20:16 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

If I'm tailgating then so are you.

om> wrote:

If you are allowing the same space I am, you don't need your fictional .2 sec.
Harry K