About recalls for runaway cars.

The ONLY reason that braking with the right foot is customary is because cars used to have a third pedal for the clutch. If the first cars had come equipped with automatic transmissions, NO ONE would use their right foot for braking. It would be stone cold stupid to do everything with one foot, unless your other foot had been amputated.

Do these chuckleheads steer with only one hand, because in the olden days, you needed your other hand for shifting?

Reply to
snotty

e:

quoted text -

So in an emergency you LFB is useless as it gains nothing. And in traffic just adding a few feet following distance avoids the _need_ for it. You make an extremely poor case.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Hooo boy, are you wrong about his experience!!!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

So just how do you know when an emergecny is going ot occur so you can put you Left foot over the pedal? You keep harping about reaction time. That only counts in emergencies when you have you foot on the floor....unless you consistently tail gate of course.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Now THAT goes beyond stupid. The only car I know of that had 3 pedals was the Model T.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

g it to confirm

s and manuals.

Yep, you have said it over, and over, and over repeatedly to the point of asininity. Thus far you have made zero progress in showing one iota of advantage to it and have not refuted any of the rebuttals. The only possible advantage is that fraction of a second reaction and that only counts in an emergency - when, per you, you don't even have your foot near the pedal.

For the record, back in the 60s when there _was_ some push for it, I practiced it for awhile. Gave it up as I could see no reason for it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You've never seen a car with a manual transmission and a clutch pedal? What color is the sun on your planet?

BTW - my 1941 and 1946 Chevy Pickup trucks had FOUR pedals.

Reply to
snotty

ote:

de quoted text -

I agree with Harry. You can't keep a foot hoovering in the air ready to react at a moments notice. And even then, the tiny fraction of a second compared to just using your right foot is unlikely to make any material difference in the outcome. And now we have Ashton joining the original left foot braker in claiming that "covering" the brake pedal is a good idea. The example of using it when traffic ahead is slowing is particularly dumb. Here's my solution.. If traffic up ahead is slowing and the seperation is becoming too small for the speed, I move my right foot from the gas pedal and start applying the brakes to increase the distance, instead of relying on "covering" to shave a 1/10 of a second off my reaction time.

One thing is for sure, they will fail you during a driving test in NJ if you use left foot braking.

Reply to
trader4

quoted text -

If you feel the need to put your left foot over the brake pedal to prepare to brake, then why would you not simply take your right foot off the gas FIRST and use it instead? There is nothing safe about a situation where you still have the throttle applied while anticipating the need to stop with such urgency that you have a foot hoovering over the brake pedal. If I anticpate the need to brake, the FIRST thing I do is take my foot off the gas pedal. At that point, it's available to brake. And there is only one action now to take to stop the car, which is to press the brake. With your method, to bring the car to a stop requires TWO actions, removing your right foot from the depressed gas pedal and applying the brake with the left foot. What you suggest is implicitly unsafe. Capiche?

I'd like to see any reference for your claim that using two feet is safer. Find us any online driving reference that recommends it. If it's safer, why does NJ fail you on the driving test?

Reply to
trader4

ing it to confirm

ics and manuals.

ed up. =A0It's

n any case, I'm

Harry, that advantage doesn't exist either. In the described situation, you or I would have REMOVED our right foot from the gas pedal. The way Ashton is operating, while he has his left foot hoovering, he still has his right foot on the gas. So, when it's time to stop. doing it our way, the throttle is already closed. His way, he has to take his right foot off the gas pedal and use the left one to apply the brakes. I'd say having to release the throttle, the time it takes for the engine to react, etc. easily negates any tiny margin of time advantage to the left foot method.

I'm having a hard time understanding the use of the word "safety" in the context of someone who sees traffic conditions that may require an imminent stop, yet they are going down the road with one foot holding the throttle open and the other hoovering over the brake. I'd like to see any online reference that says that is the safer or correct way to drive.

Reply to
trader4

OOPPS!!! misread the post.

And no, the reason for RFB is because it is the most reasonable way to do it. All the hot air spent trying to defend LFB hasn't accomplished even a small dent in the reasons _NOT_ to do it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

g it to confirm

s and manuals.

??? Never heard of the brake 'unlocking the torque coverter' but then I haven't heard of a lot of things. Any cite for that?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Well, if you said it, it MUST be true!

Well, certainly not to someone with limited intellect and a securely closed mind it hasn't. Just keep your fingers in your ears, and keep shouting "NO, NO, NO" as loud as you can.

Reply to
snotty

The brake switch for left-foot brakers should be connected to the horn. "get out of my way -my brakes might not work"

Reply to
clare

And if when traffic starts to back up you LIFT your right foot from the pedal, and get ready to stop, you have the same reduction in reaction time, PLUS you have started to slow down a bit already, opening up your "opportunity space".

I know, if you DON'T have to stop, you've added another 0.2 seconds to the length of your trip. In heavy traffic thos 0.2 seconds all add up and you end up late for work - or worse yet for supper. Then you end up with hot toungue and cold shoulder for supper.

Reply to
clare

I sused to left foot brake driving my Dad's rebel because otherwise kit would stall. Finally convinced him to let ME fix the carb, since the dealer couldn't get it right.

No more left foot braking.

Reply to
clare

And you sound like a hot-dog driver who can't lift his right foot off the gas and let the vehicle slow down a bit in anticipation of needing to brake.

You, Ashton Crusher - are a DANGEROUS driver - and an accident just waiting to happen...

And it WILL happen. Just a questiopn of when and how serious.

Reply to
clare

Nope, the guys operating that thing have some common sense.

Reply to
clare

You sure about that, Harry?? Every standard shift car I ever drove had 3 pedals. Some even had 4 (foot operated emergency brake)

Reply to
clare

=3D=3D Should THAT happen, I would hope that your "hover" foot would hit the brake quickly before you got sucked down the hole. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy