led lights in cars

being happily behind the times and never worked or wanted a car with led lights what is the story with them?.....are any of the lights a standard size like bulbs?.....do you have to replace all of the lights or can you do it individualy like with bulbs....if one goes do you have to replace the whole unit ....is anything standard or are the just a money pit with progress as an excuse?

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Car LED lights are fine they use less electricity than filament bulbs, so the wiring to them is thinner. Depending on the car and the light you may have to change a complete fiting with more than one light if you have a failure. The wiring may not be thick enough if you have trailer filament light bulbs.

Reply to
Michael Chare

oh well won't be buying one anytime soon ...thanks

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Beware if your car electronics can detect a failed bulb. LED bulbs draw less current than incandescent and may well report a blown bulb. It happened to me when I fitted a pair of H7 LED bulbs despite them being advertised as "Canbus error free".

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

I'm thinking of replacing the interior lights in my car, as I think it was someone accidentally leaving one on that flattened the battery a month or so back. Each is a festoon bulb taking 8 Watts, so two-thirds of an amp at 12 volts, which means it can indeed flatten a battery in a day or two. An online search suggested that you can get LED equivalents as drop-in replacements which should take a lot less current. They might even be brighter. I'll find out when I get one or two. I suspect that fitting LED bulbs in other places would be a lot more complicated if the car isn't designed for them.

Reply to
Clive Page

led bulbs have no place in a car......

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Why? When tungsten bulbs first became available but the majority of cars had acetylene lamps, I wonder if people said "tungsten bulbs have no place in a car".

I have no problem with LED lights in cars. The only proviso is that the pulsing rate (to get a variable brightness from a variable mark:space ratio) should be high enough than you don't see a very obvious series of disconnected still images of a car's tail lights out of the corner of your eye as it passes you in the opposite direction. Same applies to the "red man" / "green man" lights on pedestrian controls for pelican crossing lights.

Reply to
NY

I changed my car interior bulbs for LED a while back. As my car does not have CanBus so no problem there but I had a bit of trouble with the festoon replacemants. First was to get the correct length and width to fit in the holder. Second to prevent them rotating, cured that by sticking a thin piece of foam to the rear. They have to be fitted for polarity but easy to change round if you get it wrong.

I find the light being brighter and whiter then the tungsten ones much better.

Reply to
John Bryan

Dinosaurs have no place in anywhere other than museums and fossile beds.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Oh I'm sure Dotty Jim said it at the time.

What should *really* be banned is the auto-dipping of headlights.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The sad thing is that all you need is a high PRF and a smoothing filter of a choke and cap and its all gone

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes leds f*ck up my eyes as well and shurley it can't be legal to switch off the side light just so you can see the turn signal...never had these problems with bulbs....and don't get me started on DRLs ......

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

shocking, all that life saving

Reply to
Animal

Because it doesn't always dip as early as the driver would do so? Because it takes *ages* for the headlamps to return to full beam after the oncoming car has passed?

Reply to
NY

The only reason side lights need to be turned off is because modern cars put the indicators in with other lights (headlights and side/DRL at the front, brake/fog lights at the back) meaning that it is hard to see the indicator in amongst all the other lights.

I find that sometimes the absence of the DRL on one side is the thing I see before the indicator.

Reply to
NY

And high intensity headlamp bulbs intended for those places where you can drive at well over 100mph

Reply to
Andrew

So much easier to read the old dog-eared paper road atlases :-)

Reply to
Andrew

All of the above.

Reply to