About recalls for runaway cars.

Then it has *no* advantage over right-foot braking and a lot of disadvantages.

Reply to
krw

I assume you must have a cite for a peer reviewed scientific study that backs up those assertions...

You couldn't possibly just be pulling this stuff out of your butt, could you?

Reply to
salty

It's obvious, dummy. If you have to move your foot, either works equally. The big disadvantage is that each foot can (and will) be on both petals during emergency stopping (or worse), a time were acceleration isn't wanted. Right-foot braking removes this possibility.

No, but that's where your head has always been.

Reply to
krw

If you are a right-foot braker and you are in a situation where you might need to brake at any time you take your RIGHT foot off the accellerator, and while it is still in motion, without having to command the LEFT foot to do anything, you hit the brakes.

Much faster reaction time, and NO CHANCE that both feet will be down at the same time on both pedals.

Left foot braking IS dangerous - it doesn't matter how many years YOU have gotten away with it..

Reply to
clare

=3D=3D Exactly. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

How can the right foot "already there" when it is on the gas pedal? The left can be hovering over the brake. I'm not saying it is a better method, just that under certain limited circumstances it can be faster. That can happen in say, congested fast moving traffic with on and off ramps where you may need a bit of extra caution. Certainly not cruising the highway for even a couple of minutes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I notice the aficiandos have backed off from 'riding with the foot above the pedal' to 'only when one expects to use it'. Seems to shoot down their 'faster reaction time' seeing that the right foot is not only _already there_ but even a bit closer to the brake since it is on the gas pedal and alredy off the floor. Of course if one is in cruise then there is no time advantage at all to eithef foot.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

If your foot isn't already there in an emergency, of what benefit is LFB? If you _expect_ to use it_ and need that extra little bit of reaction time, perhaps you shouild be looking at your driving habits, especially how close you are tailgating.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And you just _know_ that you never activate the brake lights just how?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

e:

:)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I don't know what you consider a long period. I hold my foot in the air for anywhere from perhaps a few seconds to half a minute. It moves back and forth between resting next to the pedal and hovering over the pedal when I want to be ready for braking. It's all just second nature. If traffic is slowing up ahead my left foot will shadow the brake without my right foot moving at all and I just maintain speed. I can easily cut a half second of reaction time if something happens, which translates to 44 extra feet to stop in at 60 mph and in the process I don't have to jerk the passengers back and forth taking my right foot off the gas to be ready. If I'm just cruising on the open road it's just resting on the floor of course.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It really should be right foot whiners. They are the people whinning about the world coming to an end. The left footers don't have any issues.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

There seems to be some serious misunderstanding of what left foot braking is. You don't just put your foot on the brake pedal, or put your foot over the pedal, and leave it there for the whole time you are driving. You mostly just have it resting on the floor, just like you would if you used your right foot. However, when a situation comes up where you *might* need to brake you get ready to brake by moving your foot over the pedal, and if you are experienced and skilled, you might be touching, NOT pressing, the pedal. You might hold that position for only a few seconds to half a minute. In heavy traffic you might be moving your foot in and out of that position several times per mile if the traffic situation warrants. And of course some of the time you actually apply the brakes. But you don't just hover your foot over the pedal till your leg goes numb.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The right foot is not already there, it's pushing on the gas. That's why LFB is better, you can be PREPARED to brake before you even let off the gas. If you don't need to brake nothing's been lost.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It's interesting that the person, you, who has zero skill at left foot braking holds themselves out as the expert on what will happen to people who left foot brake. You are completely wrong, not surprisingly, since you are speaking from a position of ignorance. Why don't you talk about something you actually know something about, assuming there is some such subject.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

None of the aficionados has backed off something. It's the people who don't know what they are talking about who keep saying left foot brakers drive around "with their foot above the pedal" as if they have it there the whole time they are driving. LFBers brake with the left foot by moving their foot in and out of position just like right foot brakers do, the main difference is that unlike right foot brakers, they can maintain position and speed on the throttle with their right foot while using the left foot to prepare to brake thereby driving in a smoother manner with greater safety all other things being equal.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

how ridiculous. whatever you can do with your right foot you can do just as quickly with your left foot. The difference is that you can pre-position your left foot in situations where you would not be taking your right foot off the throttle. In doing so you eliminate about a half second of reaction time should that situation deteriorate to where you do need to brake. There is nothing dangerous about left foot braking, to the contrary, it's safer then right foot braking. You sound like a hysterical old woman.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I bet you are worried the Hadron Collider is going to create a black hole and the earth will get sucked into it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Because doing so causes my lockup torque converter to unlock and that's very noticeable.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Tailgaters are incompetent drivers.

If one is behind me, I slow down to make sure they have enough safe stopping distance for the distance between us.

When possible and safe, I get out of their self-important way.

Reply to
salty