Why do cars "bong!" when you crash?

If you've watched a lot of youtube videos of accidents, you'll have noticed some cars tend to make a noise (ping, bong, something like that) as they crash. What is the point of this? To wake you up? Bit late isn't it?

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Not sure what you mean, so I'll speculate.

A bong from the dashboard? I imagine any information display is accomponied by a bong. "Airbag deployed"?

Reply to
Graham.

Fuel cut-off activated?

Reply to
alan_m

This:

And why do you need to be told something way more obvious than a bong that you've crashed/there's no fuel/there's an air bag in your face? That would be like me beating you to death then telling you I just did so. Pointless information!

Reply to
Steven Watkins

They don't.

Steven Watkins wrote

Never seen one do that.

Unlikely to be deliberate.

Duh.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Never seen any other one do that and I have watch a few. Might be the alloy wheels hitting the curb with it sliding.

Doesn't appear to be deliberately generated to me.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Then you don't watch as many Youtube fail videos as me, this is an example:

How could a car accidentally go ping?

So you agree with my point.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

I've seen loads (probably 20).

In that case the timing might suggest that, but it sounds nothing like a metallic collision, but more like an electronic noise. All the others I've seen do not coincide with the actual crash, but are a second or two before or after it.

It's clearly an artificial noise through a speaker.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

We'll see...

When the slamming into something triggers that accidentally.

Nope, I don't agree that its deliberate in the design of the car.

Bet its an unintentional result of slamming into the curb sideways. Maybe its just the parking sensor or something.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I've seen a lot more than that in those fuckwits in cars reality TV series.

Yeah, on listening to it the third time, more likely just the parking sensor beeping as it hits the curb sideways.

So likely just the parking sensor having a brain fart if it's the same noise the parking sensor makes.

In that case its likely the parking sensor having a brain fart.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Its to let you know that the recorder has registered it so the little black box can be removed by your insurance company and see what happened, Some air bag actuators do this, though to be honest if one goes off you bloody well know about it!

I guess they are not allowed to go Bing, as that would upset Microsoft.. grin. Luckily I no longer need to try to watch such clips. Also how many are still filmed by bystanders in portrait mode not landscape? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One or other of:- a) chronically bad design of the device that makes handling difficult in landscape; b) users are stupid.

Reply to
TMS320

How will we see unless we somehow compare our Youtube history?

Most Youtube videos I see, the bong is not precisely when the bash occurs.

Parking sensors surely only come on when you switch them on, otherwise they'd come on every time you got in a queue at the lights.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

I fail to see how it can be difficult to hold a phone sideways. In fact most are intended to do that as a webpage etc will turn round as you tilt the phone.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

The last thing you'd notice or care about when crashing is something making a silly noise.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

From the drivel you come up with.

Don't believe that.

But some manage to leave them on.

Nope, most arent actually stupid enough to get that close then.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I meant 20 that went bong.

Surely you have to turn on a switch to activate it, as a car won't know when you're parking. A switch on the dash won't come on by mistake.

Cars make bongs for all sorts of reasons, like "door open", "seatbelt off", etc.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

But can be left on when you used it last.

And its also quite possible that one of those sensors had a brain fart when the car slammed into the curb sideways.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Mine don't they are on all the time . Which can get pretty annoying when the edge of the carriageway is bounded by a wall or by street furniture etc.

They can be silenced once activated so :- pull in 'ding ding ding', parked; ding continues until you press a button on the dash and binging stops, but the parking sensor is re-armed again so no bing now but when they would next be activated they are ready to go.

Traffic queuing at lights "tyres and tarmac", in nose to tail traffic I wouldn't get within parking distance to the car in front (12"?), it actually annoys me these people that think getting right up the chuff of the car in front(couple of inches or so) somehow gets them up the road quicker . Don't get me wrong massive gaps between cars makes the queue longer than it has to be, goes back over other junctions etc but 12" seems to me a reasonable gap

Reply to
soup

That is insufficient to determine how many videos I watch.

You'll just have to watch a few Russian car crash compilations.

Doesn't that annoy them every time they stop at the lights?

How close do you need to be to activate the parking sensor?!?

Reply to
Steven Watkins