Why do cars "bong!" when you crash?

I replied to your claim that taking a picture in landscape is the same as reading the screen in landscape. As though the fact that the picture being the same way round is the only thing of importance.

It remains that it is difficult to take a picture in landscape compared to portrait.

Reply to
TMS320

For peole with limp wrists perhaps.

Everyone else finds it perfectly simple.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like hell it is. The problem is that with the phone in portrait mode, the back of your hand is between the phone and what you are videoing, below the camera.

In landscape mode, the back of your hand is between the screen and you, so you can't see the screen properly.

Reply to
Aaron

Hah! I just realised I should have said "99% of my photos and videos are

**landscape**" No wonder the misunderstanding! (Talk about reading a post.)

It doesn't change my opinion that most (other) people don't take landscape because it is a poor design.

Reply to
TMS320

You must hold the phone in a very strange way if the back of your hand is between the screen and you. In landscape I hold the phone in the tips of my fingers (both hands), steadied by the palms, so my hands are left and right of the screen. This makes it easier to move the camera left/right and up/down to compose the shot.

It's still not half as easy as holding a proper compact, SLR or camcorder - but then I wouldn't regard a phone as a "proper" camera for more than taking record shots where exposure and composition and holding straight/steady are important. The biggest problem is trying to hold a phone steady while then being able to reach the button to take a photo; I rely on voice-activated most of the time, since the button is not designed to be in a place where it is naturally close to your finger when you are holding a compact/SLR in the conventional manner.

Reply to
NY

I agree. For taking photos, the button to take a photo or starting/stopping video needs to be on the edge of the camera, not on the screen where you have take one hand off the camera to stab at the button.

Reply to
NY

Or you could just, you know, use an actual camera instead.

Reply to
MrTurnip

But, most people, myself include, carry their phone with them. To take a camera requires positive action.

Reply to
charles

I've had this iPhone for a year. I've yet to take a picture with it. Of course that will cost me millions in insurance and years in prison as I ignore these car crashes, plane crashes, and bank holdups that I observe on a daily basis.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Iuse the camera for taking pictures of shop price tags, I can them compare them with on-line prices. Saves writing in a notebook - or trying to remember.

Reply to
charles

I used to have an iPad. Utter piece of garbage. Thankfully it went wrong and I replaced it with an Android tablet which has far more functionality including the 1960s ability to run 2 or more programs at the same time instead of being deliberately crippled not to.

Reply to
MrTurnip

The clock doesn't update itself, it doesn't have gps and it's necessary to drag a non-standard usb cable around with it; it has wifi, but is a battery draining waste of space. The only useful feature over a smartphone is that it takes pictures that can be enlarged.

Reply to
TMS320

Perhaps I'm being thick, but why does a camera need a clock or gps in the first place? Can't you remember where you took it or what time of day it was?

And presumably better pictures with a proper zoom lense unless its a real bargain basement model.

Reply to
MrTurnip

I missed earlier contributions to this thread so perhaps someone else has already pointed out that with iPhones the volume control on the side of the phone is also a shutter control. I take a lot of picture for work with mu iPhone and always use the volume button its so much more practical.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

No, just hold it with one hand, not two.

That?s the difference.

We were discussing videos, not photos.

We weren't discussing phone v compact/SLR, we were discussing why so many use portrait mode instead of landscape with phones.

Reply to
Aaron

Yeah, me too and other stuff that is too hard to read like some of the very faint low contrast model and serial number data and the number on a nano sim etc. And the ID plate on stuff that you have to lie flat on the floor to see, much easier to photo it. And the car odo when keeping track of fuel usage etc etc etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Current iphones and ipads all run 2 or more programs at the same time.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But I tend to know if I'm going somewhere I want to take photos.

I also don't carry my phone around with me 24/7 like a pathetic teenager.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

What's poor about it? Turn the phone sideways, press the button, simple.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

My phone has the shutter bottom of the right hand side when upright, becoming right of the top when in landscape.

Reply to
Steven Watkins