Why do cars "bong!" when you crash?

Why do you need all that technology to go shopping?! I have a spreadsheet I print off when I shop for food once every 3 weeks. I fill in with a pen which things I have run out of and how many I want. I then go to 4 supermarkets and buy at the cheapest one (the prices are on the spreadsheet). When I get back home I update some of the prices by looking at the receipts.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Why did it take them longer to get this basic ability?

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Yes, you actually are that terminal a f****it, leave it at home where its no use at all.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It didn't.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not for every picture taken. The photo of an unremarkable roadside scene has much more value if precise when and where comes with it.

When pictures can be viewed on a proper sized screen, zoom has less importance than in the days when they used to be delivered on small scraps of paper. And where the processor of those small scraps of paper invariably delivered disappointing results compared to what film was capable of.

Reply to
TMS320

That's unusual to need that, and very easy to take a picture of the bit of paper you just wrote that on, along with anything else you want to remember. For example when I take photos in a zoo, I follow each animal photo with a photo of the sign saying what it is.

WTF are you on about? If you want to take a photo of a thing that's a long way away, you need a proper zoom lens, or you end up with the desired object taking up a very small number of pixels in the image.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

But handy when it is needed and even more handy when finding a photo you want in a decent sized collection when you can sort them by location and time taken.

Vastly more convenient to have the camera do all that for you automatically.

Much better to be able to annotate the photo itself.

Doesn't work with wild animals, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Of course an optical zoom is necessary if you want a thing to occupy more pixels.

Let's put it a different way. You put a picture on a monitor and cover it with a mask having a 3½"x5" hole in it. The resolution of what you see through the hole hasn't changed. Now let's say a thing visible through the hole happens to be an inch long.

Back in the days when you got your 3½"x5" prints back, and you wanted that thing to come out an inch long, your only option was to zoom in when you took the picture.

Reply to
TMS320

Bullshit. The object is too small. Enlarge it to monitor size and it l= ooks shit. Zoom in when taking the photo and it's much clearer.

And it still is. If you zoom after you have the picture on the computer= , you don't have enough pixels to make it crisp.

This is assuming you don't have a camera/phone with infinite resolution.=

Reply to
Steven Watkins

In seperate overlapping and movable windows just like on a proper desktop at the same time? No, didn't think so. iOS should have been named toyOS.

Reply to
MrTurnip

I doubt a picture of an unremarkable roadside scene would have any value if you stuck a neon flashing sign there giving the exact time and co-ordinates with an attached funfair.

You clearly don't understand what a zoom lens is for. But then you take all your pictures on a phone so no surprises there I guess.

Reply to
MrTurnip

It's not bullshit. I'm talking about displayed dimensions, you're talking about making the object occupy more space on the screen.

For some things an optical zoom is still a useful feature. I have only said that zoom has less importance than it used to have.

It assumes many things. I don't assume that every picture taken has to be good enough to hang in a gallery.

Reply to
TMS320

So distant objects are much closer than they used to be? The world is shrinking! Help!

Reply to
MrTurnip

Then in future I will have to bear in mind that if a photo has no value to you, I must not take it. If I do take it, is it just a police matter or will you be round to threaten me with a gun?

Your post wouldn't have any value if came with a neon flashing sign giving the exact time and co-ordinates of a troupe of dancing girls.

Reply to
TMS320

No, just a large detachable zoom lens would be enough.

Now that I would pay for!

Reply to
MrTurnip

No point in overlapping movable windows with small screen devices. Much better to have each one running with the full screen to itself, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What a waste of a zoom lens! At least use a cheaper blunt object like a clawhammer, monkeywrench, etc.

Shall we start the bidding?

Reply to
Steven Watkins

YOU used the word "unremarkable". Why would anyone take a picture of anything THEY considered unremarkable?

Do you grasp the concept of resolution at all? If your phone is 10MP, with no zoom lens, and the object you want to look at takes up 10% of the width and 10% of the height of the picture, then zooming in on your computer will make that a 0.1MP image. Now take the same photo with the same 10MP resolution camera with a 10x zoom lens, and you get a 10MP image of what you were looking at. 100 times more dots!

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Which part of "iPad" confused you? They're generally not small screen devices anymore yet they're still loaded with a crippled phone OS.

Reply to
MrTurnip

Wasn't me. You're not following the thread properly.

Well done. And your point is?

Reply to
MrTurnip