8th largest army in world deploys...

Page 2 of 3
Higgs Boson wrote:

Spot on!
Goddamn Canadians!
Canada is the largest exporter of oil to the US. Somebody needs to impose democracy on their asses!
Same for Nigeria (#2) and Mexico (#3).
Hell, even the perfidious British send us oil!
Obviously, the French are our only true friends.

All we have to do to get theirs is mop it up off the beaches.

The French Cananadians?
notbob wrote:

General Eisenhower was RIGHT!

Ya mean like we didn't 'lose' in Viet Nam? That is exactly the way Afghanisstan will end...with US dragging our tails out of there just like the Russians did.
Harry K

Likely. Congress likes to do stupid things.

If the leftists have anything to say about it, certainly.

we DID NOT "lose",we gave up. Even the NVN Generals admit we had them beat,until we gave up. America lost it's will to fight,and fought foolishly by giving in to Political Correctness.We never dealt with Hanoi or Haiphong harbor properly.We really never attacked past the S.Vietnam border,just some lame bombings on "suspected" targets(trees).

BECAUSE of the leftists and their Political Correctness.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

There never had to BE a Vietnam war if the Dulles brothers striped pants set in the State Department had not ignored Ho Chi Minh when he approached the U.S. to be Vietnam's friend against their millennial enemy, China. The U.S. simply ignored this contact from another head of state. "Our" interests were to restore the French colonial regime, and incidentally continue access to strategic minerals. I saw with my own eyes an exhibit in Saigon -- oops, Ho Chi Minh City -- quoted a high-ranking US Official to say that we must stay in Vietnam for the tungsten and other strategic minerals.
Ho Chi Minh was a sophisticated, cultured, much-traveled NATIONALIST, not a COMMUNIST, till he had nowhere else to turn. Was not a good idea to ignore/insult this funny little guy in the black pajamas with the wispy beard, a great admirer of the U.S. He modeled the Vietnamese Constitution after the US Constitution.
Then, of course, we come to the Tonkin Gulf fabricated incident, after the US had sent boats up & down the coast baiting the Vietnamese. It is now on record hat Johnson "agonized" over whether to order attack, knowing full well that he was sending our troops into harm's way on a baldfaced LIE.
Johnson put through some progressive legislation; he cared about the poor. But he is responsible for the deaths of 58,000 American troops and the wounding for life of countless others. There wasn't the same concern for vets that is (too) gradually taking hold because of the current Asian wars. And, if anybody cares, millions of Vietnamese civilians were killed and their country poisoned with Agent Orange. But then, they were only "gooks"!
Santayan said: Those who do not study history are doomed to relive it."
We are reliving it. WMD, Yellow cake. Metal Tubes.
Ten years earlier, our Ambassador to Iraq, April Glaspie was asked by Saddam Hussein what the U.S. would do if he invaded Kuwait. Glaspie replied (on instructions from State Dept; NO ambassador MAKES policy; they convey it) that the U.S. had no policy on the matter. The rest, as they say, is history.
Too bad our children aren't taught read history in school, instead of a sanitized US-centric version. Much of the world outside our shores has figured out that, as Benjamin Franklin famously said: "We must hang together, or we will assuredly hang separately."
HB

striped pants set in the State Department had not ignored Ho Chi Minh when he approached the U.S. to be Vietnam's friend against their millennial enemy, China. The U.S. simply ignored this contact from another head of state. "Our" interests were to restore the French colonial regime, and incidentally continue access to strategic minerals. I saw with my own eyes an exhibit in Saigon -- oops, Ho Chi Minh City -- with words from high-ranking US Official that we must stay in Vietnam for the tungsten and other strategic minerals.
Then, of course, we come to the Tonkin Gulf fabricated incident, after the US had sent boats up & down the coast baiting the Vietnamese. It is now on record hat Johnson "agonized" over whether to order attack, knowing full well that he was sending our troops into harm's way on a baldfaced LIE.
Santayan said: Those who do not study history are doomed to relive it."
WMD, Yellow cake. Metal Tubes. Ten years earlier, our Ambassador to Iraq, April Glaspie was asked by Saddam Hussein what the U.S. would do if he invaded Kuwait. Glaspie replied (on instructions from State Dept; NO ambassador MAKES policy; they convey it) that the U.S. had no policy on the matter. The rest, as they say, is history.

Harry K wrote:

Correct. The US involvement in the Vietnam conflict was concluded by a peace treaty (for which Henry Kissenger was awarded a Nobel Peace Prize).
The last combat troops in Vietnam left more than a year before the country fell.
harry wrote:

Propaganda?
A peace treaty ( Agreement on Ending the War and Restoring Peace in Vietnam ) was signed 27 January 1973.
27 January 1973 - The last American soldier to die in combat in Vietnam, Lt. Col. William B. Nolde, is killed.
29 March 1973 - The last American soldier is removed from Vietnam.
Saigon fell on 30 April 1975.

I suppose it is the propaganda that there is such a thing as a non-combat soldier in a war zone.

368 more GI were killed in the peace
AND THEN...

Go to http://thewall-usa.com / Punch in 29 mar 73 through 30 apr 75 to see the names.
Expect a similar thing in Iraq and eventually Afghanistan.

Glad you agree with our heroic Marines, when they blasted innocent civilians from their choppers, while having fun conversations over their radios. Wheee! Such fun!
See video at YouTube. Watch the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twKEVFNeeLk&feature=related

That's the war crime Bradley Manning tried to bring to his superior officers' attention. Instead of punishing the criminals, the military arrested the kid, and now he has been in the brig for months, WITHOUT BEING CHARGED OR BROUGHT TO TRIAL! Kept in torture conditions. No sleep, no exercise, no human contact.
Will they break him so he will turn on the WikiLeaks founder? Stay tuned for the next episode in "American Justice".
HB
HeyBub wrote:

Suggested reading for you if you did not read them. "Black Water", "Good soldier" Be informed citizen.

The way the US fights wars is like hunting. The animals (Afghanistans, others ) are not to be wiped out,but they are killed off like culling animals. You kill a few and let a few live so you can hunt them next year. If we were really serious about winning a war, we would do like WW2 in part. No problem with fire bombing Tokyo that killed thousands of people, or dropping the atomic bomb.
On 12/25/2010 10:26 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

WWII now. We would be promising aid and trade treaties if they would leave Europe and us alone alone. Just like N Korea is doing. There would be Nevil Chamberlins giving away our border states, and so on.

At least someone here can see.

The Taliban do.

...except the states on the coasts have banned guns.

Really ??? How about Maine , NH Conn. Penn. The Carolinas , Ga. Alabama and Florida , ect....Not everybody is in NY/NJ and Mass and even there it's only handguns....California is prime for the taking and as far as I'm concerned they can have it...We'll stop them at the Rockies...LOL..

NY, NJ, PA,...

"The coasts" generally refers to the East and West coasts, but you knew that.

You do that. Stop the Kalifornicans, too, or it'll do no good.
harry wrote:

No. They would be tortured in-country.