Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

What type of weed is this?
My lawn, in certain parts, has been overrun with this weed for years. No sooner do I kill it off, and scarify, it's back, and with a vengeance! Can anyone tell me what type of weed it is and how I can...
10
10

Best solution for dog pee burn on lawn - water, lime, gypsum - what is best?
I have a male dog, who pees like a girl dog i.e he squats and so delivers a high dose of nitrogen to my lawn making it die. I'm currently training him to only pee on a patch to the side of the shed,...
3
3

Protecting Hummingbird Chicks
Got 2 of the little nuggets poking their heads out of a next. I notice a wandering housecat under the tree today. I'm trying to watch and keep running it off as much as I can. Question.... the nest is...
9
9

Preparing old lawn for new one
Got too many weeds in one patch of the yard about 15x30 and decided to kill or remove all the old grass/weeds and start fresh with new seed. I'm wondering if I covered it with tarps, how long would it...
2
2

help with lawn
Hi everyone.. Have recently just bought my first house and garden needs a a fair bit of tlc.. So started with the lawn as it was covered in weeds... Since treating with weed killer I have loads of...
4
4

Patching up lawn
The two most important things to keep in mind when making suggestions for this project are (a) lazy and (b) cheap. I do not want to spend any more time or money on this than is absolutely necessary. I...
5
5

New lawn...
Hi all Had a new lawn laid today. The ground had been covered in gravel so already had that removed. The agreement with the gardener was that he'd rotavate in any gravel left and add topsoil to lay...

What to do with this?!
Hi, I've just cut my lawn for the first time since last year and the winter has really taken its toll on it. I raked out a load of dead grass but the main concern isthe massive patches. I am attaching...
1
1

TruCut C27-H
Hi, I recently purchased a nearly new TruCut C27-H in the UK. Very impressed with the machine. There seem to be no UK agents for the machine in my home country so I guess spares will need to be...

Squirrels on the roof....
These rascals are waking me up at 5am every day running across the roof. Today's project is to trim all the limbs away from the house. Then the only other ways they can get up there are climbing the...

Garden woes
Hello all, My first post to the forum and I'm new to the garden world, My wife and I have recently moved into our dream property after living in a two bedroom flat for x amount of years, the whole...
10
10

Battery for Moisture Detector
I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?...
22
22

engine
I have an Encore Z42 mower with 552 total hours on it. I just spent $1063.33 on it because it shucked a valve. The repair shop says Kawasaki is notorious for this problem. For proof, he showed me a...

Red apple ice plant in bad shape
What could cause a whole hill of red apple to die? It's been healthy for 15 years with very little care, now within a couple of months the whole hill is brown. Looking up close, the roots and stalks...
4
4

Kohler 25 hp Courage engine locks up!
What would cause my Craftsman 48 in riding mower engine to lock up after about 400 hrs running time and 4 years old? Feels like the main bearing on the crank are locked up on the top bearing.