Battery for Moisture Detector

I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to
use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before.
Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?
Thanks.
Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
Forgot to say - this is a soil moisture detector for potted plants.
"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news:odydndpUDa3hJJ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?
Thanks.
Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney
I know that different battery materials can have slightly different voltage but nominally alkaline and carbon-zinc are the same.
Reply to
Frank
I wonder if the writer of the instruction was having a bad day. Might been meant to write to use only alkaline battery?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
Voltage/current curve not compatible? Buy "heavy duty" zinc chloride batteries - they are a lot cheaper anyway.
Reply to
clare
On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 18:50:51 -0400, Micky wrote:
You sure about that?? Lithium and other rechargeables tend to be shorter, but zinc chloride and alkalines are generally the same.
Reply to
clare

I did find a chart (half way down on the right) comparing alkalines to carbon zinc. If you find comparison between zinc chloride versus alkaline, I'd sure like to see it.
In my own tests, alkalines of various brands outlast carbon zinc four to one. I mixed and matched a bunch of cells in various applications. Came out 4:1 fairly consistently.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
On this thread battery life was never mentioned. You just want to prove how big a prick you are. Stormin Moron.
Reply to
clare
The only thing I can think of is that an alkaline battery has a much lower internal resistance and that might cause a problem for the electronics.
Just a guess.
Reply to
philo
I asked you a question about your response, and you chose to not answer the question, and be a prick instead. I call a spade a spade, and a moron a moron.
Reply to
clare
I don't remember for sure which one is shorter but in 9v, one is.
I can't use an alkaline battery in one of my voltmeters. I have to use a standard battery. Because it's shorter. So I guess it's the carbon zinc that is shorter.
(If it's not shorter is more narrow, but I'm sure it's shorter.)
Reply to
Micky
"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news:odydndpUDa3hJJ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...
to use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before. Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?
Thanks for the comments. I have tried to reach the mfr but no response so far. Will post whatever I find out.
Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Site Timeline Threads