I've got a moisture detector that takes a 9v battery, and it says not to
use an alkaline battery. Never seen that type of warning before.
Anyone know why an alkaline battery is not recommended?
About the comments about differences in current between battery types.
My understanding is that 9V is 9V and the current is determined by the
resistance in the circuit.
Well, apparently Snuffy will not see my reply unless someone re-posts
it - but so be it. The current drawn is dependent on the resistance of
the circuit. This is true, but there is resistance in 2 very different
and separate parts of the circuit - the source and the load. The
"internal resistance" of the battery limits how much current the
battery can supply - irrespective of the "current draw" dictated by
the load resistance. If the internal resiatance of the battery is too
high, the voltage across the load will drop to well below 9 volts in
use. The power dissipated across the internal resistance of the
battery as heat will compromise the life of the battery, reducing the
total net power available from the battery to a fraction of what would
be available into a higher resistance, or lower "powered" load.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.