Best solution for dog pee burn on lawn - water, lime, gypsum - what is best?

I have a male dog, who pees like a girl dog i.e he squats and so delivers a high dose of nitrogen to my lawn making it die. I'm currently training him to only pee on a patch to the side of the shed, leaving my main lawn burn free. This is working, but it now means the

2m x 2m patch by the shed is now all nearly brown & dead.

So what can I do to help the 'designated pee area' survive a bit better....I know you should water the patch after they pee, but my question is what is best just water on its own or water with some lime/gypsum in it? or gypsum pellets spread around on the patch - does that work?

P.S - I'm not expecting to revive the dead grass. I'm getting some new turf laid soon so I'm looking for a preventative solution to start a new regime from day 1 of the new turf.

Reply to
Jac99

Bob F wrote: ...

yeah, wood chips, after a few years of dog pee and decay they will be good for using in a flower bed as fertilizer...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

What I read on googling is that lot of water works best. Lawn is burned by nitrogen compounds in the urine. I see a lot of products advertised on line for treating it. I suspect songbird's suggestion may be best if the dog has to go there.

Reply to
Frank

We always advised homeowners to mark out an area with landscape timbers, fill it with gravel or bark, and if they had a male dog, stick a 4 x 4 post in the middle. Then train the dog to do its business there, and only there.

Otherwise, since urine contains nitrogen, and nitrogen burns, the only effective solution is to water the area well right after the dog has peed. Which is generally not practical.

The only thing applying gypsum or lime does is increase the profits of the store you bought the stuff from.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan