Best lawn weedkiller?

Hi, just had new turf put in. Some weeds have started to grow through the grass.

What is the best and most economical lawn weedkiller? I'm happy to use a watering can or pump spray to spread the weedkiller.

Thanks

Al.

Reply to
Al

To kill everything, slosh on some glyphosphate, or for longer term treatment use sodium chloride. The whole lawn will go brown and die quickly.

Oh - that's not what you want? Ah. So.

Regular mowing will do for most weeds. Spot seeding will do for plantains, thistles, dandelions etc. I don't know what area treatments are used now, try asking your school or football club groundsman, or at a garden centre (you may not want to pay their prices, just get ideas), or try uk.rec.gardening (I have taken the liberty of cross-psoting this).

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

A little bit of proof reading would have made that comment more convincing! :-) Sodium chlorate is the weedkiller, though sodium chloride will of course kill most plants if sufficent is applied.

It's not inflammable itself but it's a very strong oxidising agent so will explode with material that oxidises easily (like twigs etc. which of course it's quite likely to come into contact with). What you can buy nowadays at garden centres etc. is mixed with something inert to reduce the chances of it exploding and also to reduce the possibility of terrorists (or others) making bombs with it.

Reply to
usenet
[snip]

Sorry. Sodium chloride and sodium chlorate respectively. I must have had one too many.

[snip] [Franz Heymann]
Reply to
Franz Heymann

annihilating

You are right. My apologies.

That is correct. I was trying to be brief.

[Franz Heymann]
Reply to
Franz Heymann

Tordon 22-K is good as it kills all, but leaves grass unharmed. used at local cemeteries, that is where I get a backpack full when I need it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Doesn't it worry people when you arrive at the cemetery with an empty backpack and go home with a full one?

;-)

Nick

Reply to
NickW

Verdone is the best and easiest to use, just follow the directions.

Alan

-- Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Alan Holmes

I fgound VERDONE OK on most weeds but it would not touch Japanese Knotweed - which was my biggest issue, Tordon 22K killed it no problem..

There was one other that worked 245-T, but that is now considerred too risky in domestic use (was an defoliant in Vietnam)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

As of the beginning of this month new EU rules cam into force which effectively outlaw most of the widely available 'weed and feed' products used for lawns because of a few of the chemicals used in them. I have a sneeking suspicion Verdone was one of them. Retailers had to remove such products from their shelves, anyone with any in stock, i.e. you and me, has until the end of the year to use them up or they must be destroyed - how this will be policed however is not specified!

So certain chemicals are too dangerous to be sold now but you can use any you already have until the end of the year. Now that has to be EU logic!

Reply to
harrogate

I'm certainly no expert but read a Which magazine report earlier this year which (I think) generally recommended liquid rather than granual based products. Levington Evergreen (liquid) came tops in the survey for combined lawn feed / weedkiller products and I've been very impressed with it. My lawn was almost ruined by creeping buttercup but following 2 applications of Evergreen its looking much better and the buttercups are almost a thing of the past. I think it costs about £5 for a 1 litre pack which will cover 100 sq m of lawn.

Reply to
Andrew Jackson