AArgh... neighbors

Page 8 of 10

In older houses (like mine) many sewers are plumbed with 2ft clay tiles, one end has a bell shape and the male end fits in the bell.....tree roots can readily penetrate this type of drain line.....luckily the neighbors Popular tree decided to croak and no longer plugs my line annually although said tree just dropped a rather large branch on another neighbors roof (Big tree)......the sweet lady whom originally planted the trees (since deceased) in 1966 had not idea such little twigs could get so big....Rod
Yes, sewer piping has to be compromised for tree roots to get in. The City of Durham, NC has some interesting info and offers another solution besides snaking or augering the roots out: "Tree roots are opportunistic. While they will not crack a sound sewer service or water line, they will exploit cracks or failures in the lines. The best defense against having tree roots in lines is to make sure that your lines are in good condition and that they're not cracked. If you suspect that tree roots are growing into your sewer line, you can have the roots cut out using a process called "rodding". You can also flush Copper Sulfate down the toilet two to three times per year to prevent roots from growing into sewer lines. Copper Sulfate is an inexpensive chemical that can be purchased at most hardware stores."
BTW, I've heard that copper sulfate is quite effective.
Suzy O

I don't have bylaws either. No homeowners association. However, set by the county I do have deed restrictions and it is a ten thousand dollar fine for cutting down an old growth live oak.

Bylaws, county rules, whatever. It's just sad that people have to have a rule force them to use common sense.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Common sense like you wrote a earlier?
"one of my evil dreams is to buy a house on Main Street in Hingham, paint it orange and black, with a nice loud Harley parked in the tin shed out front "
And she wonders why we have laws! Did someone mention that you would be a hideous neighbor?

A humorous neighbor, anyone but you would know I was joking. But you're so bent on hating everything about me you're blind to it. Like I said, get over yourself. Quit proving you are the one who would be 'hideous' to live next to.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Hmmm,
"But see, one of my evil dreams is to buy a house on Main Street in Hingham, paint it orange and black, with a nice loud Harley parked in the tin shed out front - the apoplexic fits thrown would be worth the price of admission ;->"
Oh, hahahahaha. It's still one of our evil dreams.

I assure you, if this is a town of old, there are laws on the books which will dictate what colors you can use on homes in historical districts. I remember watching This Old House when it was a great show, (poor show) and one house in Mass went through massive hoops, problems, historical boards, and other limitations so they could paint their home, or put in a gateway so they could park off the street, etc. Not everybody lives on an acre zoned rule. I suppose that's a rule which is fine. I wonder if said acre owner wanted to sub-divide if then,that would be the issue which breaks the camels back.

How about rapists? Should they too suffer the rule which forces them to have common sense?

Typical usenet reach, when you can't think of anything else, raise the bar.
We're talking about trees here, Victoria, not rapists.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

It's all relative, Ann.

Only in your mind.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Hypotheticals are so delicious....since one can easily craft one on demand to prove or disprove any particular point pro or con..... Case in point would said car still bother you quite as much if the neighbor after your 5 years of suffering silently thanked you profusely for being such a mellow non complaining neighbor and handed you a million dollars?
Obviously some people wish to have absolute control over each and everything of everybody else and I suppose even want someone controlling them...whereas others think life is meant to be a little messy... sometimes good and occasionally not to our liking but with no desire for rules and laws attempting to regiment a "perfect life".... Rod
says...

--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

What an odd question.
Let's put it this way: Some people think outside of themselves, and consider the consequences their actions may have on other people. Some people do not.
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:16:04 -0400, John Bachman

The trees on my property are all numbered, tagged and come with a huge fine if cut down, period. I believe the fine is ten thousand dollars each tree. Thank goodness they have that.
John Bachman wrote:

Actually, in many places trees in the front yard are not on someone's property - they're on city property. Check out your lot lines, you may be surpised how much of the city's property you're taking care of.
And while I believe in freedom to my own thing, and you to do yours, if I interfere with your peace and enjoyment of your property or vice-versa, even if I do what I do entirely on my own property (or you on yours), then you have a legitimate grievance (and vice versa). Freedom to my own thing ends where your right to peace and quiet begins. And vice versa.
Then there is the genral rule that trees in the city are good for everybody, not just those on whose property they happen to grow. So everybody has an interest in preserving them (or cutting them down if they get dangerously rotten, etc.)
The closer we live together, and the more of us live together in one place, the less individual freedom there can be. Aren't you glad you live in a society that believes that the nmecessary compromises should be governed by law, and not imposed by bute force?

Not a totally bad idea, for two reasons:
1) People sometimes think they can cut down huge trees without the help of a professional. But, there's a certain order in which to do these things, to assure that falling branches don't cause problems. To use the analogy of a building permit, which most people accept, why not have a permit process for removing trees? Let's face it: A significant portion of the population is just plain stupid. Sounds like a good idea to have someone knowledgable stop by, interview the budding lumberjack, and make sure they have a proper plan in place for 1000 lb chunks of falling wood. I also think it would be wise if the permit required the lumberjack to pay every single penny of a neighbor's property damage. Override their deductible, in other words. Most decent people would offer this, but some people aren't decent.
2) A library is a place where OTHER people go to read about trees and plants. So, we have people who MIGHT want to take down a tree for the wrong reasons, after doing absolutely zero research. Example: When I moved to my new house last September, the old lady across the street came over and said EXACTLY this: "Hi...my name is Helen. Let me tell you about that stupid tree of mine, before it upsets you". Her "problem" is an ancient sycamore which has the nerve to drop bark on her lawn all the time. At certain times of year, it blows across the street to my property. I don't mind. That's what sycamores do, like lobsters moulting. But, she is convinced that the tree is diseased, and that 3 tree services and a guy from the township are withholding information from her. She's probably telling other people that *I* am in error, too, by telling her that the tree is normal.
So, why not have someone from the town stop by, find out her reasons for removing the tree, and if the problem is "mess" or "maintenance", see if the neighbors like the tree enough to pitch in now and then? If not, give her the permit. My crazy neighbor has a lawn guy who handles leaves & bark, but if she didn't, I'd be happy to wander over there and rake up the bark. Tree saved, problem solved.
Why should this matter to you? A big shade tree is worth however many tons of air conditioning. The number doesn't matter, but it's large. Got any idea how much heat is radiated by an unshaded blacktop driveway? Which magical, easily replaceable and 100% clean source to you get electricity from?
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:33:41 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Requiring the taxpayers to hire a tree nanny because some people are too dumb to know how to safely cut down a tree can be extended to the myriad of things that people are dumb about. Follow that logic and we have a town hall full of tree nannies, snowblowing nannies, water garden nannies, etc. Pretty soon you need to pass a test before you can buy a Felco pruning tool.

I think that we have plenty of lawyers at the ready with liability suits. No need for additional permit requirements to enforce accountablity.

Yup, ignorant people do dumb things. "Momma always said, 'stupid is as stupid does'" - Forrest Gump I am not willing to pay taxes to keep the ignorant from doing what they do, I just cannot afford that much.

Of course I care. But that does not necessarily translate into more laws, more bureacrats and more taxes.
JMHO
John

couple a thousand on difficult trees. Seems difficult trees increase as I age ;)))
Bill
--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This may contain copyrighted ((C) ) material the use of