You Can Never Have (Long) Enough Clamps

[..]

Any plumbing supply house -- i.e. one that caters to the plumbing trade, not to the general public -- will have 20' lengths.

Reply to
Doug Miller

With a few plumbing parts you can go over that. At the house I grew up in the garage was a tear down and reassemble job, it got racked out of plumb during building, my dad and his brother used come alongs and extended pipe clamps to true it up 24' to 30' long walls.

Reply to
Markem

On 6/19/2018 4:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: ...

Interesting enough to have checked...it does appear at least the Orange Box doesn't have anything over 10-ft in inventory.

For a reason I've never understood, the standard pipe joint is 21 ft, though, not 20.

Reply to
dpb

I didn't think black pipe was rigid enough to make 36" clamps. I can't imagine 20' clamps would be all that useful.

Reply to
krw

Perhaps because the standard column spacing in commercial/industrial buildings is 20' (when I worked for IBM, all mainframes had notches or corners every 20' to allow for columns).? 21' pipe sections allow them to be cut to size, with threads and all, and fit standard building construction?

Reply to
krw

My favorite "truing stuff with a come along" story...

When I was in the USCG, I slid a 65 Dodge Coronet sideways into a fire hydrant - hard. The hydrant bent the driver's side door pillar in toward the seat about 3". The driver's door wouldn't latch and the back door had popped open and wouldn't close.

I drove the car back onto the USCG base on Governors Island, NY, went over to the shipyard and parked next to a 50,000 pound buoy sinker. I hooked a come along to the big loop on the top of the buoy sinker and wrapped the cable around the pillar.

As I cranked on the come along, the car started to dip so I shoved a huge piece of wood under the frame to keep it level. With just the right amount of clicks of the come along, I pulled the pillar straight enough that both doors worked again. It wasn't pretty, since the hydrant had punched a hole in the back door, but both doors were usable.

I drove the car for another 6 months until I was transferred to Alaska. Before I left I donated it to charity.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

the headboard could not be repaired using fasteners

was this a period piece

did you use hide glue

otherwise fasteners would be long lasting since beds experience many live loads

Reply to
Electric Comet

How do you know?

It was more than one piece, period.

You can't see any of the glue, so yes, I hided it.

I don't care how long the fasteners last, it was more about making the headboard last.

Reply to
DerbyDad03