You Can Never Have (Long) Enough Clamps

In keeping with the spirit of "you can never have enough clamps", I purchased two 50" Bessy Revo's when HD lowered the price a few weeks ago. Those 2 clamps became the longest clamps that I have.
Guess what size clamps I needed this weekend? 55"!
A friend asked me to repair a full size headboard for her and I just couldn't get those 50 inchers to stretch quite that far. Luckily I had some aluminum angle iron lying around, so I drilled a couple holes in 2 pieces and made adapters to hook each 50" Bessy to a 24" Bessy and then did the "flip the jaw around" trick to create a longer clamp.
It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough for the job I had to do.
I'd go buy a couple of 60" Revos, but the first job would probably require 61". ;-)
On 6/18/2018 4:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Don't feel bad. All my life I'd been told it would be better a couple of inches longer. You did your best and made do, so have I.
On 6/18/2018 3:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes you can, have too many clamps. ;~)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/20519288345/in/dateposted-public/

I don't see any evidence of that. The project's clamped successfully, there's room to walk around it, and you're posting here instead of adding or removing clamps. You don't have too many. :-)
If you've got so many clamps to install that you exceed the open time of the glue you need smaller assemblies not fewer clamps!
Puckdropper
On 6/18/2018 7:50 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

In case you missed the suttleness. LOL. The weight of the clamps collapsed the saw horse and work bench.
in rec.woodworking the following:

    That's not "too many clamps" - that's "not enough support."
    The only time you have "too many" clamps (books, ammo, chisels, etc, etc) is when you have to move.     Or you can't find the one particular one you need / are looking for.
--
pyotr filipivich
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've got a bunch of 48" pipes, with connectors to go with my pipe clamps. The extra length came in real handy once when I did a deck repair, and even to clamp a 48" length. Maybe not as fine a clamp as what you you are using, but they have length. A piece of 3/4", 48", threaded black pipe cost about $7-8.
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 9:59:20 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

I had considered getting some connectors for my pipe clamps, but I didn't want to go out to the store. It was a fairly quick repair and I just wanted to get it done and out of the shop. Besides, I need a chance to play with my new clamps, I just hadn't planned on playing with all four of them. ;-)
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 13:16:08 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

The longest clamps I have are the 50" Revos but I also have "extenders", used to connect Revos together when needed (e.g. to frame a solid core door to make a bench top).
<https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/besseykbodyextender.aspx
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 10:50:28 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Those are what gave me the idea to use the aluminum angle stock. Those are obviously better, but the angle stock worked for what I needed it for.
It's cheaper to do what this guy did but I tested it and didn't like it. See if you can figure out why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
pcyJiGt9Q
On 6/18/18 10:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Or you could just use a bolt and nut.
--

-MIKE-

On 6/18/2018 10:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Cheap, yes. but defeats the rigidity of the steel bar. The rigidity of the bar lessens bowing. The Bessey connector prevents this.
On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 4:50:14 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Perzactly. When I watched the video I noticed that he never tightened the clamps, just extended them. When I tried his method I found that you lost all semblance of the parallel clamping that the Revo's are supposed to provide. (I totally expected that to happen) The looseness of the extending loop allowed the bars to move "upward" resulting in an inverted V and non-parallel jaws.
The angle iron I used prevented the bowing (for the most part). It served my purpose, but I can certainly see how the Bessy extender is the best option.
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 20:49:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Um, they're called "parallel clamps" for a reason. No, I'm not going there either.
On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 10:51:46 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

You may have noticed that he never tightened the clamps after he installed the connector. Gee, I wonder why he didn't include that in his video?
Of course, his biggest mistake was posting the video in the first place.
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 9:50:28 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

I only have the old Bessy clamps where both heads are permanently attached to the bar. Neither head can be removed. The end of the steel bar is flar ed out to prevent the head from sliding off. With this extender and newer Bessy clamps, can you take the screw handle head off, reverse it onto anoth er clamp steel body, use this connector to join the two steel bars together , and get about a 90" clamp from two 50" clamps.
On 6/18/2018 1:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: > In keeping with the spirit of "you can never have enough clamps", I purchased two 50" Bessy > Revo's when HD lowered the price a few weeks ago. Those 2 clamps became the longest > clamps that I have. > > Guess what size clamps I needed this weekend? 55"! > > A friend asked me to repair a full size headboard for her and I just couldn't get those 50 inchers > to stretch quite that far. Luckily I had some aluminum angle iron lying around, so I drilled a couple > holes in 2 pieces and made adapters to hook each 50" Bessy to a 24" Bessy and then did > the "flip the jaw around" trick to create a longer clamp. > > It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough for the job I had to do. > > I'd go buy a couple of 60" Revos, but the first job would probably require 61". ;-) >
That is a good argument for pipe clamps. Used to be able to get steel pipe 20' long. Probably still can, although maybe not at Box Depot.
On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 14:29:09 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:
[..]

Any plumbing supply house -- i.e. one that caters to the plumbing trade, not to the general public -- will have 20' lengths.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 18:22:53 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

With a few plumbing parts you can go over that. At the house I grew up in the garage was a tear down and reassemble job, it got racked out of plumb during building, my dad and his brother used come alongs and extended pipe clamps to true it up 24' to 30' long walls.
On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 3:52:28 PM UTC-4, Markem wrote:

My favorite "truing stuff with a come along" story...
When I was in the USCG, I slid a 65 Dodge Coronet sideways into a fire hydrant - hard. The hydrant bent the driver's side door pillar in toward the seat about 3". The driver's door wouldn't latch and the back door had popped open and wouldn't close.
I drove the car back onto the USCG base on Governors Island, NY, went over to the shipyard and parked next to a 50,000 pound buoy sinker. I hooked a come along to the big loop on the top of the buoy sinker and wrapped the cable around the pillar.
As I cranked on the come along, the car started to dip so I shoved a huge piece of wood under the frame to keep it level. With just the right amount of clicks of the come along, I pulled the pillar straight enough that both doors worked again. It wasn't pretty, since the hydrant had punched a hole in the back door, but both doors were usable.
I drove the car for another 6 months until I was transferred to Alaska. Before I left I donated it to charity.