woodworkers show in Timonium

Is it me,or is the show shrinking? there were more non woodworking vendors than normal and less other woodworking vendors.there was very little new to see except the new unisaw(nice), But I already have a unisaw. I did get a new wooden(ebony)plane. but little else.

Len

Reply to
Len

===============================

Think it is a trade show thing.

The "In the water" boat show here in L/A had disintegrated to the point that there were more exhibitors hawking Eye Glass Cleaner, Jerky, Swamp Water In Arizona, etc, etc, than there were boats.

I quit going years ago.

I used to do 2-3 trade shows a year.

They were expensive to participate in and tough to measure whether they generated any new business.

Haven't seen a wood working show in the same location for a few years now.

The way we do business is changing.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

One company I worked for kept very good records of sales and decided to dump The trade show after a few years. Seems we were better off if someone knew the janitor than if we got a business card from an engineer at the show. Literally!

Reply to
LDosser

Hey Len, others, Yes, I think it is shrinking but the majority of vendors are woodworking related and there are still a few surprises and new items/ ideas to be found. I enjoyed the Unisaw too and like you, already have one, but it is nice to daydream. Even if the shows become boring to some it is a chance to mingle with thousands of like minded folks and seeing dozens of friends in one location, so as long as they put them on I will show up. Also, if my trend continues my knuckles will be touching the floor by the 2012 show. Some of my bags were getting real heavy by closing time. Staying home today and tomorrow though to get back to work in my basement shop with the coal stove and the stereo crankin'. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen