Bosch 1617 Bearing Replacement

My 1617, single speed router is getting a little noisy and I suspect at least the bottom bearing is getting rough. I have both bearing and have Googled for repair info, but found little that is useful. I did find the exploded parts diagram.

Bottom bearing looks fairly straight-forward but upper looks like it will require a complete tear-down.

Has anyone torn into one of these? Any special tools needed to remove the bearings?

Thanks

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Might want to check this thread, including the response from Bosch at the bottom.

Chris Friesen

If the brushes are making bad contact (sparking, like makes a nearby AM radio go crazy), that causes irregular torque and the motor sounds loud. Clean the brush holders and inspect the brushes for wear first (it's easy).

Get a REAL arbor press or have a pro put the bearings in, it matters a lot how straight you press them.

Reply to
whit3rd

If the brushes are making bad contact (sparking, like makes a nearby AM radio go crazy), that causes irregular torque and the motor sounds loud. Clean the brush holders and inspect the brushes for wear first (it's easy).

Get a REAL arbor press or have a pro put the bearings in, it matters a lot how straight you press them. =================================

If it gets more involved than brush replacement, it's time to let the pros do the rebuild.

As "whit3rd" indicates, properly installing a set of 20,000+ RPM bearings is an acquired skill.

My guess is a rebuild would be about 2/3 cost of new.

A set of brushes, factory service center installed, a lot less, probably less than $20.00.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett