Houston WW SHow.

Well I can see now how all those accidents with the new Metro Train happen. For those that don't know, the train began testing in November and put into regular operation January 1 of this year. There have already been 11 accidents involving other vehicles and a fatality or two. They limited its use during Super Bowl week to keep from injuring pedestrians. Way to few crossing arms and the train is on you before you know it as it is relative quiet. Between this train and Janet Jackson, the visitors did not have much of a chance. Of course you have to cross 2 sets of tracks to get into the parking lot from the East side of the complex and when you exit from that side, you have to cross two sets of tracks and sit on the tracks while you wait for traffic to let you in. Rant over.

The show was as big as I can remember. About 8 rows of vendors and all the big hitters were there. DeWalt was offering 10% on their tools. As mentioned by another poster there were $3.00 sheets of veneer. The sheets were 6 to 12" wide and about 6' long. Mostly home grown stuff. A few samples of mahogany and coffee bean but mostly walnut, 1/4 sawn oak, maple , etc. Jet and Delta were well represented as were PC, and Bosch. Kreg is expanding as their demonstration area has doubled in size. They have introduced a new miter gauge that they 100% guarantee needs no set up except to adjust the small nylon inserts to make the miter bar fit correctly. Nothing fancy about the miter gauge except that when you tighten the handle at you setting the setting does not move off mark. It has a nice fence you can add with an excellent adjustable stop. The stop will swing up if you want to temporarily bypass it by simply pushing your wood against the front end. Also has a neat attachment for handling mitered corners at the stop. All that for $139.00. Looks like a great deal and tool from a good company if you need a miter gauge. For Miter sled companies, Jerry with his Dubby and Jointech were there. Jerry IMHO in all his real world simplicity seemed to still out shine the competition. While he fumbles around looking for a screw driver and or his sticky back band clamp, "masking tape" and you listen to his speaker snap and pop quite regularly he still lets the audience set his sled up and he pops out an 8 sided clock frame and face in a matter of minutes. Still quite impressive. He still seems to be the one that lets you see his product in actual operation vs. those that simply stand there and tell you what their product should do. Roberk, Minimax and Laguna were there as well as a small portable saw mill. Leigh was here this year, they have missed a few of the more recent years. IMHO this show beats most all that I have seen in the Houston area and I have been going to them since they were held in the Shamrock Hilton back in the late 70's. Big enough that I actually got tired before I got finished. I managed to only spend $17.21. I did have my eye on that new Kreg Miter gauge though. Small and simple when compared to the Incra models and looked about 10 lbs. lighter than the Incra models. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

If anything illustrates the dumbing down of our culture, the design and implementation of this Metro "train" does. It's also indicative of what will continure to happen as people educated beyond their intelligence are given free rein with taxpayer's money.

For chrissakes, it ain't like they didn't have 150 years of examples around the world to go by.

Good review ... thanks! I still might make it this afternoon, though I still have a table top to do today to stay on schedule. After moving the parts and glue in to acclimate last night, I did manage to do a glue-up in the kitchen this morning, as the temperature in the shop was in the 40's, so there still may be time ... providing I can remember where I hid my credit cards.

Reply to
Swingman

Those same words have bounced around in my head for years and you just make them all come out in the right order. I suspect that the 70+ miles of extra rail that got voted in will be implimented down the newly rebuilt freeways zig zaging from one side to the other. I'm sure that the 11 accidents so far have fallen way below their expectations. ;~)

Not to mention all the recent problems in cities like Dallas.

Reply to
Leon

Hey Leon, I think I saw you at the show but since I don't know what you look like I'm pretty sure I didn't recognize you.

I went to the Dallas show in Decemember and it was bigger and better as well. One of the Woodcraft managers told us that after last year's pathetic run, MANY vendors informed the coordinators they had one last chance to step up the marketing and improve the turnout or they were gonna walk. Looks like their voices were heard.

Picked up the new DW618B3 2-1/4 HP router three-pack for $279 (same as Amazon's price), minus 10%, plus a free edge. Nice rig.

Didn't see very many good deals on big iron from Jet or Delta. And except for a couple of Jet Midis, there were no lathes for sale! Laguna might have had their monster lathe on diplay, but I didn't even stop at their booth.

Did you see the new Bosch jigsaw? Very nice. Show price was $149. They had your Milwaukee there too ($135 I think).

I think you mean Robjek. Minimax had a nice array of machines, and their bandsaws were generating quite a bit of interest (I have one of their MM16s). In a wise move, Minimax is now bringing complete blade guide and tensioner assemblies to the show for separate display, and this really helps you see what the saws are "made of". They also have a new 14" bandsaw (about $600, I think) that ought to stir things up in that end of the market.

Didn't stop there, but I had to tear myself away from the Lie-Nielsen booth several times. I was disappointed at their non-appearance in Dallas.

Agreed. I'm pleased to see the shows gathering momentum again. I figured they would just wither away.

That sounds like me :-) I can usually talk myself out of most any purchase larger than $20. Not this time though! I'm off to play with my new router...

Reply to
Steve Turner

I'm kicking myself for not at least picking up an electric screwdriver. My B&D junker gave up again. I was ready to tear out the door after reading your post and hook it down there for the last minute. Then I pinched myself - $7 parking, gas money, toll booth, 1 1/2 hours of driving to save $20? Nah. I've already been two days in a row. Next year I'll go better armed.

I decided one of the real drawing cards (for me) is that everyone brings stocks of all that stuff I've seen on the internet or ran out of stock at the local store. The live demos of the real quality tools were also worthwhile.

Thanks for your post and giving further perspective.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Yeah I thought I saw you too but could not swear by it.. ;~)

Cool..

I did not look closely. Are you refering to the new Bosch with he faster easier blade change set up? I have heard about them but have not seen one yet. I do recall noticing the reg Bosch with the pull, twist, turn , snap blade change set up though.

Yeah.

Minimax had a nice array of machines, and their

I wold like to some day get a large BS for resawing...

Yesh their display was nice and for some reason immediately thought of Steve Knight.

Reply to
Leon

I went to the show on Sunday. I went crazy and bought a Tormek (the deluxe package). Actually I got a pretty good deal, with a few extras thrown in. I had a few minutes to speak with Jeff Ferris of Sharp tools USA. He's a pretty nice fellow and very knowledgeable about the Tormek system. I also had a chance to question him about Norms shop. He said it is even more impressive in person. The shop has lighting designed for shooting television Jeff, said there isn't a shadow in the place. I'll be thinking about that next time I am trying to strap a drop light to my band saw. Just to make the day complete, I took my wife and son for a ride on the train. It's a nice train and I am sure it's worth at least an eighth of what it cost. We missed every single car on the trip. Too bad, I thought I would have something to talk to Edd Hendee about Monday morning.

Reply to
Ron

I have the deluxe Tormek set up also... Jeff is a nice guy to deal with. My Tormek is 2 years old and I have had 2 short lived problems with it. With out doubt, replacement parts were immediately shipped.

LOL. I once heard on the local news that for the cost of the Metro train it would have been cheaper to provide each rider of the train with a Ferrari to make the commute.

I heard this morning that the accident count was up to 14. That is about 1 accident per week so far counting the 8 weeks before it went into full operation.

Reply to
Leon

I found that leaving the parking lot, across the tracks, and onto Fannin (and the traffic on Fannin) to be something of a challenge. I can imagine what a scene it will be after a rodeo performance.

I wonder if they will operate the train when the crowds are large?

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Pretty exciting crossing those tracks and having to merge into traffic at the same time huh.. ;~) The Metro train is a classic example of trying to keep up with the Jones and know knowing why. Ineffective, dangerous, and expensive. Since the trains function is to move mass crowds I suspect that they will shut it down when it would do the most good.

Reply to
Leon

What I really want to do is cry, since I just paid my property taxes a couple weeks back, so why the hell am I ROTFLMAO!?

Reply to
Swingman

I am jealous.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Bob, instead of jealousy, you should feel sorry for me. I now face to undaunting task of having to learn how to use the multitude of jigs that came with the Tormek. How will I ever cope. Oh, poor me.

Reply to
Ron

In order to insure that I do not get too depressed, I cleaned up my office today and threw out the tormek brochure. I can always find another one when I'm ready to get serious about it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis