Woodpeckers isn't alone.

Speaks to the long and repeated conversation/warnings I had with my wife when redoing her 501c(3) website recently and adding a "Donate" page to make donations easier for potential donors, but riskier for the non=profit considering the 60, 90, 120+ day chargeback windows for some cc companies.

Balancing security, cost and liability still makes it an iffy decision that you better be aware of ...

Reply to
Swingman

On 12/18/2016 11:20 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

It's much worse than that; federal law provides cardholder up to two years to file a dispute. Most banks will have a policy against handling disputes that are more than six months old but if the cardholder pushes it they have two years to file a dispute.

Particularly online; it's still an issue for the inhouse merchant/acceptor, but there's a little more protection when get the verification number from the card issuer and can verify the signature, etc., etc., ... Online it's pretty-much just hope they're not pulling something as the verifications can do are pretty minimal as to what can really, really rely on.

Reply to
dpb

But, despite the above one really can't afford to not have some form of online donation for a non-profit any more.

I will add that we've had the facility with the local college foundation that I've served on board for 15 yr or so now and to best of my knowledge we've not had a loss on any donation actually made. Pledges not followed-up on, of course, but they're only promises, not actual revenue so don't count for this purpose.

We have had a few (fortunately relatively minor) issues at the annual auction; most of those have had to do with failing to post correctly one way or another and are generally pretty easy to get corrected without issues.

I think the risk for donations is quite a bit less than for merchants owing to two things; first, one can generally count on the prospective donor not being out to do malice and second, since aren't actually selling a product the risk of loss of merchandise isn't there as it is for online merchants. Maybe you don't actually get a donation you had thought you were going to receive in the end, but excepting for perhaps a transaction fee that's non-reimbursable there's no actual shrinkage (of course, for a bare-bones, scraping by organization even that may seem significant, granted).

Reply to
dpb

My wife will wait to hear the amount, before she reaches for her purse, and starts looking. No amount of explaining will help--quite the contrary! ;) She's (otherwise) a very thoughtful person...

Reply to
Bill

Just got back from store, old lady two customers ahead, five minutes spent trying to figure out why her card did not swipe, finally told it was a chip card, another two minutes to figure that out, then had to check her receipt to make triply sure her coupons were totaled right.

If I can help it, I simply don't get in a line with an old female between me and the cashier ... being an old male, I get enough of that type stuff at home.

Reply to
Swingman

If they followed the merchant's contract, to the letter, they shouldn't.

Reply to
krw

The barbers in the shops here are all women. I'd rather have a 20 or

30-something female fondling my scalp than some old man (even if he is younger ;-). They also do beards.
Reply to
krw

A lot of the older men were ex-NAVY hair cutters. So many of them have passed on due to age and problems.

I have the same problem here - the last Barber move his place of business three times and finally found a house to convert - was another business already. Main drag in a big housing area. Had 3 hair cut slots, one was him, and 3 lady hair slots.

He finally gave it up due to age and sold it to a couple of the ladies and they have the place still rolling.

I got the story on the guy from a friend that grew up in town and used him. He owns the gas / oil in the county (going way back) and was one of three partners to convert a 60+ grocery stores / company of their name into employee owned company. Big sigh of relief from the family and the employees not being sold and dumped. There are independents in gas in Truck stops and Walmart and one near me being close to the county line. All the same prices. Higher than 20 miles away.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I can't imagine paying someone to trim my beard. It just never occurred to me to do such a thing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On 12/18/2016 10:25 AM, Leon wrote: ...

But that's priced into the merchandise sold (or at least better be :) ) so that's not actually a loss. Many sales wouldn't happen w/o the ability to take the card, either, on the other side.

Reply to
dpb

On usenet, nobody can hear you laugh.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

It usually takes me 3-4 days to trim mine... So I could see paying someone to do it. It's not continuous days, mind you, it's more like 3-4 showers. I try to get the long bits, some hide then I gotta go after them again the next day.

One of the things I like about the beard is the reduced maintenance. Shaving... what a fool's errand!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Is it?

It was believed that beards were a primary vector for the M. tuberculosis bacterium, one of the main reasons why beards fell out of favor and "clean shaven" became so popular after WWII.

nb --beard to hide my dbl chin ;)

Reply to
notbob

I do mine every (work) day but after vacation, you're right, it does take a few days to get all the long(er) bits. Sometimes I'll have the barber shape it so it at least gets balanced once in a while.

Yup. Started it when I moved to Vermont, 25 years ago. It was "normal" (as much as anything is "normal" in Vermont). I've since moved South but it still takes much less maintenance, and blood. The latter is sorta important, since I've been on blood thinners for much of the last couple of years.

Reply to
krw

Well, sex is the primary vector for gonorrhea and syphilis, but that doesn't mean...

Reply to
krw

One of my co-workers shaves everything once a month or so. Saves him a lot of work.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But not a lot of pain and itching.

Reply to
krw

He complains of neither.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Gosh! I hope he just told you he shaves everything and you have not witnessed the results. :-0

Reply to
Leon

Definitely going to buy some stock in eye bleach now. AAMOF, anyone make brain bleach too ...

Reply to
Swingman