Woodpeckers isn't alone.

I'm not paranoid about security. It's the bank that's hanging out there.

Reply to
krw

Many merchants are already doing this, though it'll be a few years before the swipe cards are all out of use.

Reply to
krw

So what 10`15 minutes extra a day? And it is not like the cashiers are getting a omission.

I takes much much longer on almost every customer to get the correct pricing in a basket full of goods that do not all scan properly. I believe the opposite of what you believe.

Thinking about that, probably not an issue compared to going the old way with a bench top mortiser.

I really do not know but I do know that if I am at a grocery store I don't notice the extra time it takes for the 10 customers ahead of me to go with the chip vs. swipe. More often than not I see them swipe numerous times and eventually the cashier manually inputs the number. Or let some one write a check....

Reply to
Leon

Or you put the card in, select debit, and the machine tells you "please remove card from chip slot and swipe".

Or you put the card in and the machine, while it has a chip slot, isn't set up to accept chips.

Or you have to insert the card four times before it reads the chip successfully.

There's nothing wrong with the chip concept but the implementation leaves a great deal to be desired.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I ran into almost all of the problems that you mentioned above about a year ago as it was implemented in the Houston area but it is pretty stream lined now. It was mostly the stores waiting until the last minute to update their hardware/software that created the problems.

Today the chip reader is more reliable than the magnetic swipe.

Reply to
Leon

For about a month, my daughter and I were texting pictures back and forth about the various things we saw as the chip readers were rolling out. She also found stuff (tweets and posts) on social media (where I don't play) that she would send to me.

Some readers had tape over the reader slot because they weren't ready yet, some had fancy pre-printed cards in the slot telling users to swipe, some had humorous notes taped to them because the vendor found the entire situation somewhat funny.

Some examples...

DerbyDad03

I have witnessed many of those type distractions but that is pretty much all gone in the Houston area unless the unit is down, including the swipe slot.

I made a purchase at HD today and paid attention to the wait time, 4 seconds. I did however wait until the unit indicated to insert the card. Some people insert the card immediately and have to wait until the cashier has finished the process. If you count that time plus the 4~7 second card read time it will appear to take for ever.

Reply to
Leon

Remember when you could swipe your card as soon as the first item was scanned by the cashier? You could then put the card away and concentrate on loading scanned items into your cart and whatever you needed to do to be able to walk away as soon as the cashier was done.

Ahhh...the good old days. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 12/15/2016 5:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

No, I can't say as I do. I never have had a transaction like that other than at a self-serve gas pump.

Reply to
dpb

Maybe you never looked...just assumed you couldn't swipe early? (Just asking...not trying to offend)

Lots of the stores I go to allow it. As an example, the major grocery store chain in my area lets you swipe your store card (or enter your phone number) then choose your payment method, swipe your card, select a cash back option, etc. all while the cashier is scanning your order. That sure saves time, especially when there a slow customer at the machine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They're the clerk, not I... :)

I trade at very few places that don't just have open accounts; I'm just not much adept at it I guess...

Reply to
dpb

I have no idea what that means..

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 12/15/2016 9:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

On account, just sign and get bill at end of the month...I don't know of your "tricks of the trade" to try to somehow speed up a process w/ plastic...

Reply to
dpb

I'm talking about swiping the card at the register in e.g. a grocery store.

Some stores make you wait until the all items have been scanned before you can swipe your card, others let you swipe, enter your pin, etc. at any time and then the "system" waits until the cashier is done to present the total and ask for your acceptance.

If all you need to do is tap "Accept" once the cashier is done the overall process has been sped up. I know we are talking about seconds each time, but if there is a long line, the total time savings can actually be minutes once you add up all of those seconds.

Obviously a pittance in the grand scheme of things...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 12/16/2016 8:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

I couldn't think last time was in a grocery store... -- or any retail outlet-type place, actually, for that matter. :)

I an old-school kinda' guy; the cashier is the cashier, I'm the customer. I hand over the card; that's their job, not mine... :)

Reply to
dpb

Where do you buy your food and other supplies?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I really did not care for that, committing personal information before knowing what the bill would be. I always wanted to see the total before starting the payment process. Our local Kroger grocery store had that feature.

Reply to
Leon

I'm old fashioned too. I don't like sharing information and account numbers until I am satisfied with the total. Don't like the total?, walk out. Otherwise you would want to stick around to be sure the collected information is voided/dumped/ or what ever they would do.

Reply to
Leon

I take care of the farm, she takes care of the household. I don't ask her to buy parts for the planter or combine, she doesn't as me to buy food.

Reply to
dpb

Check your bank statements (or online) and dispute any illegitimate charges. Every once in a while an ATM will blue-screen mid-transaction. I just make sure SWMBO checks the account to make sure the transaction didn't hit the bank. Once it did but was backed out shortly after. The bottom line is to check accounts regularly. She check it almost daily. Often when I come home, she'll say something like "what did you buy at Home Depot". Jeez, I *just* left there! ;-)

Reply to
krw