Woodpeckers isn't alone.

That's been my excuse for many many years too!

Reply to
Matt

For the lack of sex?

Reply to
krw

Nah - the beard hides the double chin...

Reply to
Matt

. . . add Rockler to the list.

Video from a discussion of solutions to problems that don't exist, posted here a couple of years ago?

Spalted Walt

A young guy on YouTube invented that and apparently sold it to Rockler. Seems way too complicated to cut a 45. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

But it's cheaper than a Domino. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It cannot do what a domino can, it basically enables you to cut and bend a 45.

The quality of the bend will depend greatly on the flexibility and thickness of the outer veneer.

With cabinet grade plywoods the thickness of the outer veneer is pretty thin.

And $375.00 I can see it in a high production or factory application but for the typical Rockler customer..... I don't know.

Reply to
Leon

Can a Domino do that? ;-)

I didn't say I was going to buy one! I like my toys but I think I can pass on that one.

Reply to
krw

I think there is a market, just really small. It's a nice design, well thought out, but pricey. And for most of us, a huge luxury that's not needed. If we were doing many boxes with wrap around look it could pay.

As far as thickness, that's up to you , you want to drive the point down to just a few thousandths from going through.

I do see this for small shops, that maybe do a run of wine boxes for a company, or decorative boxes for whatever.

Reply to
woodchucker

No, nor would I want it to do that, or anything else that has you bending wood to make a 45.

Reply to
Leon

There are router bits that pretty much do the same thing and with out the intricate measuring to insure that the box comes out the correct size.

And with this Rockler blade the wood grain does not go in the direction you would want on the ends. Grain on the sides are parallel with the bottom and top, grain on the ends changes direction 90 degrees.

There are distinct disadvantages to using one piece of wood to make a box with out cutting it into pieces. Grain direction and larger pieces to begin with.

And that is a problem with the plywood. Outer veneers differ in thickness by much more that a few thousands.

Again, think about the grain direction on all sides.

IMHO this is best suited for mass production of material that has no grain, like MDF

Reply to
Leon

:

Real question:

If the MDF was reduced to a few thousands, would it bend like the wood vene er would or would it snap?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It would probably break.

Reply to
Leon

Last night I was watching an episode of Street Science (series on Science Channel). They had slow motion of a wine glass flexing under high frequency. Things we think of as solid can flex.

I would think it would have some flex, but not as much as wood veneer and then snap.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So how much was the wine glass flexing?

Reply to
Leon

My guess is that it wasn't 90°. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Looked like about 1/4". Never saw or imagined that could happen. They used a high speed camera to show it.

Other things that looked nifty was a bubble filled with smoke bursting. Looks like a wrapper coming off it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Enough to eventually lose coherence.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Which is akin to why a hot liquid will crack a thick glass faster than a very thin and delicate glass.

The inner surface of the thick glass begins to expand with the heat but the outside hasn't heated up yet. Crack!

With a thin glass, the heat is more evenly distributed (and disbursed).

Reply to
DerbyDad03

LOUD!

Not so much