Wood in Va.

Oh. I see in another post you're from Richmond. Well, move to C'ville -- it's a great town.

Gregory C. Lew> I found that their prices are good, but I think the thicker stock (8/4

Reply to
Gregory C. Lewin

Nah, too close to that other ACC school for me, lol.

Just picked up some 8/4 Cherry so we will see if it has cracks, hope not.

Dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

Good looking UVA chickies running around all over. What else does it have going for it?

Reply to
Silvan

Now we are getting completely off topic, but since you brought it up; the 'chickies' are much better in Clemson. You know, those Southern Girls. UVA girls are too prissy.

dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

Well, geez, if you have to ask...

University and everything that comes with it (except for some traffic). More restaurants per capita then just about anywhere in the universe. Pleasant people (well, except some of them students again). Low crime rate ("only" one murder last year). Somewhat cosmopolitan feel in a small city. Good music scene.

It's consistantly "ranked" as one of the top places to live (now that I don't live there, it's ok for the rest of you to know).

Yeah, it's no Christiansburg (I've never actually been there) but it ain't too bad.

(I'm sure many people have good things about the places they live. I'm not on a mission to sell anyone on C'ville -- mostly just ribbing the OP because he went to Clemson. But you did ask, so there you go.)

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
Gregory C. Lewin

Are they? I can believe that. Lotsa old money /haute société/ people go to UVA. It's still hard to drive through there and keep my eyes on the road though.

Reply to
Silvan

I travel the state on business, and I have to admit, I enjoy Charlottesville. Much more than Norfolk area. However, in case you have not noticed, Charlottesville is not really a small town anymore. Traffic on

29 is crazy. UVA is very nice, actually they are a customer, but it does not have the small town feel of Clemson. Much of my dis-taste comes from when I was in school and we traveled to other schools for football games. Hospitality at UVA was terrible, only behind the a-holes at Va. Tech. At Clemson, we fight on the field and welcome visitors to party with. I never saw that anywhere else. Again, just my experience.

Anyway back on topic, along with the cherry, I picked up some walnut from Northland FP, on sale. This is the 1st time I have worked with it. Wow, I think I have a new favorite wood. It is great to work with and looks great even before finishing.

dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

Who wouldn't? Hampton Roads has some of the most vile traffic on Earth. I used to run SE PA every week, down through Wilmington, Baltimore, and DC. I did that for a long time, and then I started running Hampton Roads. Traffic over there is much crazier. Not heavier, but more chaotic and unsettling. I was really surprised, since I cut my teeth on Hampton Roads straight out of school, and that's what I did for the first year or two I drove a truck. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had something to compare it to later. No *wonder* that guy wanted to trade runs with me and give me my "gravy" back!

Welcome to the club! I think walnut looks *superb* with blonde shellac.

It's hands down my absolute favorite, and I'm finding no other wood can make me happy the way walnut can. It's beautiful, it works easily, it smells wonderful, and the chocolate brown sawdust and shavings make me hungry. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Jim,

Do they sell in small quantities ( McFarlands in Winchester has some good prices and carries some exotics. Got

Reply to
Scott Wilson

I did Armer-Seal / Coat. Looks beautiful. It lost a bit of its mistic grey coloring, but is still beautiful.

Hey how bout those Tigers! Dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave