Wood in Va.

Any woodworkers in Virginia know of a good place for lumber? I have mainly used maple and cherry, but do look for some exotic stuff every now and then.

I have been getting wood from a yard near Charlottesville. Great prices, not so straight lumber.

Siewers in Richmond seams to have high quality stuff, but is $2-4 more per bft.

I am new to woodworking and need some advice.

Thanks dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

stoutman

opps

Thats what I get for not reading your entire message. (You mention siewers... I feel silly.)

Reply to
stoutman

McFarlands in Winchester has some good prices and carries some exotics. Got some really nice purple heart there about a month ago. No web site that I know of but you should be able to locate them in the yellow pages. IF you cant let me know and Ill get the number for you.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Dave,

Been to Northland Forest Products in Troy VA (not far from Charlottesville on I-64)

My experience is that you are going to have to work fairly hard to beat their prices at the retail level.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp

Yea, Siewers has nice stuff, but 8/4 Cherry $7.60 bft. Northland Forrest Products in Zions Crossroads $5.45 bft.

Trying to learn if it better to pay more for better quality. Or if there is a place to get good wood at reasonable prices.

thanks dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

That is where I go now. What do you think of their quality? Like I said, I am new, but it seems like you have to work pretty hard to get a straight board from them. Or is that normal?

Reply to
ClemsonDave

Charlottesville? You must be close to my home. I graduated high school in Culpeper. Although the military has me stuck in Oklahoma now. Anway, Woodcraft opened a new store in Virginia Beach around the middle of December. I know they carry exotics, but I'm not sure what their pricing is. I'll check with my father also (he's in the Northern Neck). He makes gun stocks, and might know some places.

George

Reply to
Halon1211

in Springfield has a nice inventory of both exotic and domestic.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

Reply to
Blue

You might want to try Dunlap Woodcrafts in Chantilly -

They have a large supply of maple, oak, cherry, other US hard and soft woods, rarely exotics. They supply most of the re-enactors gunstocks in the area, do their own kiln drying. ASk for Wayne or either of the Daniels. No connection other than delighted long-term customer. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

I like Plastics & Plywood in Roanoke

turn up yards based on location.

-ghe

Reply to
George Eversole Jr.

Dave,

I am an extreme newbie, but here is my 2 cents...

I have bought a little domestic stuff from siewers, and I thought that they were a little on the high $$ side (I only bought domestics). There is a Woodcraft store in Richmond, and from my conversations with one the employees there I learned that they get their domestics from Northland (I assume the one in Troy) and their exotics from the Woodcraft warehouse. I was also told they get their normal stock (and I assume lumber) trucks on Mondays. They usually have a few exotics, but I would call first to see what kind of quantity. Seems (to me) to be decent quality stuff. I bought some purpleheart for $4 bd. ft. last month and hacked it up really nice.

I will be watching this thread closely to see what other places people mention.

Here is the link to the Woodcraft store in Richmond, if you hop on I-64, you will be there in no time.

macboylee

Thanks for the input. I live in the west end of Richmond. What I have learned through experience... Northland Forrest has great prices on domestic, decent stock. Siewers is very high but has good wood. Yukon in Norfolk has the exotic stuff, but prices it weird, by the piece not by the board foot, and they are kinda high. I bought some Zebrawood veneer from them for $69 later found it online for apx. $35. Woodcraft has limited stock so you can't be choosy. BTW, I wish they would stop sending me thank you cards, wife is getting concerned that they know me, lol.

There have been some new ones in this post that I will try.

Off topic, but does anyone in Va. have a nice bandsaw that I can hire in case I need to do some resawing? I am holding out for a Laguna, but might need some done before I can drop the cash.

dave

Reply to
ClemsonDave

This thread brings up an interesting point for everyone who harbors the misconception that Virginia is a small state too. Springfield, Zion Crossroads, Troy, Culpepper, Richmond, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Winchester, Charlottesville... Ain't a one o' them places within 100 miles of my house, and most are a good bit further yet.

(No, I don't know of any place good. We have a small dealer in town with a small amount of expensive, frequently crooked stuff. Not worth the drive for you, but at least I don't have to drive 1-200 miles to go there. :)

Good luck...

Reply to
Silvan

I am in charlottesville and have cherry, walnut, cedar and aromatic cedar let me know if you are interested we'll arrange for you to come over and take a look.

Reply to
myxpykalix

Actually Yukon is in Norfolk. They have a huge selection of wood including exotics. I been paying around $2.80 bf for Red Oak S2S, which is too bad.

Joey

Reply to
Joseph Smith

That is as good as it gets for rough cut lumber. You will have to buy S2S if you want it any straighter.

Montyhp

Charlottesville

Reply to
Montyhp

I can't help but add that there is a lot of lumber available as a result of hurricane Isabel. I had a white oak tree quarter sawn by a local sawyer and dried by Yukon Lumber. A neighbor and I are splitting the wood and we will each end up with approximately 600 bf. Total cost approx. $0.50/bf.

Charlottesville

Reply to
Montyhp

I found that their prices are good, but I think the thicker stock (8/4 and up) is dried too fast, resulting in a lot of internal checks. The

4/4 cherry has to be looked at carefully for in-grown bark, but I think that's the norm these days. The guys in the shop are great people.

Now, back to S.C. for you Mr. Clemson. (Incidentally, where do you live in C'ville? I used to live on Monte Vista, but now I've moved on to greener mountains in Vermont. I lived in C'ville for 11 years and never wanted to be considered a Virginian -- I'm a Northerner -- but it's amazing how much I miss it now.)

Greg

Clems> That is where I go now. What do you think of their quality? Like I said, I

Reply to
Gregory C. Lewin