Who owns the rec?

Oops! My apologies. It looks like the Google intro page has gone away and the usenet resource page has gone weird. :-(

Hmm. rtfm.mit.edu has gone away too. I think it's time for me to find (or make) some new reference pages.

Thanks for letting me know about the pop-ups.

Morris Dovey

You have your politicians mixed up. That was Al Gore that invented the internet (actually said he "created it", got to get it right).

%20%63%72%61%70

Reply to
CW

LOL Don't even entertain the notion that mere facts will interfere with this groups ability to engage in such frivolities. ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I became curious about the Charter for the wRECk after Connor's question and poked around for the original RFD. I didn't find it. I failed, and for this am destined to remain a GIT in perpetuity.

Could this be evidence of a greater conspiracy by powerful men and their apostles - who manipulate the destinies of lesser men as though they were wooden marionettes. The unspoken, oft denied Cabal Lives! Comprised, it is speculated, by the likes of Galooteus Maximus, PRINY, O'Deen and the Merchant of Ashby. Or perhaps they are simply minions of yet another upwards tier of concealed power... but I digress.

OTOH, I found a message that demonstrates the process involved in 'starting' a new Usenet group - in this case, rec.crafts.woodturning:

G.

Reply to
Greg G

Note that it is a fortunecity.com site, so these unpleasant things are to be expected... ;-)

Naah... It isn't gone - only sorely in need of updating: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Why do people talk about being a member of a newsgroup? I read several, but I don't consider myself a member of any newsgroup any more than I consider myself a member of a newspaper that read or a member of a grocery store where I buy groceries even if I do talk to the clerks.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Because to the greatest extent, you don't contribute much to a newspaper or a grocery store aside from a little money. A newsgroup you partake in it's activities by leaving messages as you are right now.

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
Connor Aston

OK - thats it . . . im going to sit in the corner and cry . . . I hate you all.

Reply to
Connor Aston

If you can't stand the byzantine intrigue, perhaps you should get out of the cabal....

mutt

Reply to
Pig

| Jesus sorry I spoke . | Now I'll take this really S L O W L Y.

Slowly is good. This is usenet, after all. :-)

| I was just thinking of a way to stop our daily Iraq death notices.

This being usenet, all that can be done is to filter, learn to ignore, or grow some intellectual/emotional callus. IMO filtering is the healthiest of the three choices.

Morris Dovey

A cabal is a number of persons united in some close design, usually to promote their private views and interests in a church, state, or other community by intrigue. Cabals are secret organizations composed of a few designing persons; a political cabal is often called a junta. The term can also be used to refer to the designs of such persons. The term also holds a general meaning of intrigue and conspiracy. Its usage carries strong connotations of shadowy corners and insidious influence; a cabal is more evil and selective than, say, a faction, which is simply selfish. Because of this negative connotation, few organizations use the term to refer to themselves or their internal subdivisions. Among the exceptions is Discordianism, in which the term is used to refer to an identifiable group within the Discordian tradition.

Reply to
Connor Aston

I went looking during Vito's run and came to the conclusion that the wRec is old enough that there likely never was a charter.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

is presently no procedure in place for creating a new group in "The Big Eight" part of usenet. There is a committee that was formed in the fall that has reached the point of agreeing on a procedure to deal with making decisions within the committee, but nothing at all on group creation.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Bingo

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

All Hail Eris. Tom

Reply to
tom

>There is presently no procedure in place for creating a new group in

Well, make that "demonstrates the process that WAS involved..." Haven't followed it in years... but it sounds like the revised procedures could end up committee'd to death. ;-o

Ahh.. for the good old days - when a decision could be made in a weekend over a pizza and beer...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Morris, I used to have a FortuneCity account. Turns out I never saw the popups. But when I went there from someone else's computer, they were all over the place. Some have even said they install spyware under some circumstances.

Having ActiveX disabled (if you're using Windoze) seems to get rid of all or most of the problem. Which, of course, everyone should do anyway.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I use a Cabal modem....

Tim Douglass