Festool DOMINO?

Festool DOMINO? Has anyone used this system yet?

think its just new out looks rather good. Any thoughts or comments Connor

%69%20%6c%6f%76%65%20%77%6f%6f%64%77%6f%72%6b%69%6e%67%20%62%75%74%20%69%6d%20%63%72%61%70

Connor Aston

Hello Connor, I'm sold on the Rotex sander and vacuum system. I'm finishing off the interior of my log home and addition - T&G pine walls and ceiling - and the minimal dust it produces is a marvel to behold. The other tools in their arsenal look interesting but I'm not ready to trade up or off my other good quality power tools for theirs just because they have the dust extraction feature built in. If I were to buy tools fresh, just starting out, I would be more motivated to get Festools because I like a lot of the conveniences they have built in to their sytem.

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

it was really he DOMINO Jointing System that I was talking about have sent away fo the cd/dvd to see what it losok like. Semms a variation on the biscuit and dowel systems.

Reply to
Connor Aston

Hello again Connor, I misinterpreted your subject line. I thought you intended it be "the Festool domino effect" where you buy one tool and get hooked to buying the entire line. Sorry 'bout that. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Actually, the Domino system is not available in the US yet, although I have heard rumblings that a few Europeam versions are in the hands of some of the Festool sales managers. Apparently the problem is that Festool can't make them fast enough for the European market.

Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws

%69%20%6c%6f%76%65%20%77%6f%6f%64%77%6f%72%6b%69%6e%67%20%62%75%74%20%69%6d%20%63%72%61%70

Reply to
jimbo

%69%20%6c%6f%76%65%20%77%6f%6f%64%77%6f%72%6b%69%6e%67%20%62%75%74%20%69%6d%20%63%72%61%70

resource. If I were starting out I would look seriously at their system.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I thought that was the Lee Valley Effect.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Looks interesting. It is a loose tenon system using a high tech biscut jointer designed to cut their style of holes. I can see some shops that could really use something like this.

Any idea what this thing costs?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"jimbo" wrote

Any idea of the cost of this system?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Given the price of their other hand held power tools, I'm betting it will be on the other side of $400 US and can only use their special bits - and perhaps their dowels, biscuits and "loose tenons" - following the US shaving "systems" business model.

There are many advantages to using "loose' tenon joinery, and many ways of making the mortises in both parts, this has the apparent simplicity of a biscuit joiner but the strength advantage of longer, beefier loose tenons.

Like Veritas, but on a grander scale, when Festool looks at a common hand held power woodworking tool, they throw most of the book away and start with a nearly blank piece of paper. What comes out the other end looks familiar but off, works a little differently, like the Dewalt 621, takes a little getting used to - and then does the job better and easier than any of its predecessors - at a considerably higher price of course.

This one looks like another Festool winner, for those with deeper pockets than mine. Would be interesting to play with though. Watch out Lamello, there's a new kid on the high end of the block - and he may be coming to steel you're candy.

Thanks for making the group aware of another potentially great tool.

charlie b

BTW - used the bullet catch strike plates yet?

Reply to
charlie b

Has anybody figured out how much they want for the thing? I haven't seen a price.

Reply to
CW

All I could find, so far is this

think that would make it around $ 700.00 US IOW.. Lamello TOP territory. I used to be huge supporter of the Lamello going back to when it's all there was. Now with the PC 557 on the market, who needs to blow that kind of money? And what does the DOMINO do that the 557 doesn't? Okay... maybe a somewhat stronger joint, but I don't want to get married to Festool for consumables.

Robatoy

That comes out to about $895.00. Pretty spendy.

Reply to
CW

Way too much if they cannot build them fast enough. In Houston new Corvettes start at $10,000 over sticker.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed, the PC 557 is a good biscuit joiner. As to strength of a biscuit joint, if you are in any danger of breaking a properly biscuited joint, you got troubles that no joining system is going to solve for you!!!

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

Found it for 1207,80 AUD which makes it 510 UK pounds and about $890 US dollars Well I'm getting the CD/DVD and will let you know my thoughts.

Reply to
Connor Aston

I liked his rendition of "Blueberry Hill".

somebody had to do it, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

No chance yet with the catches will kepp you updated. connor

Reply to
Connor Aston