Windows

Has anyone made their own windows for their house? Seems not too complicated with the right molding cutters and a source for double-paned glass.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

I bought my windows from Bill Gates! :)

Reply to
stoutman

There is much more to windows today than just a few panes of glass and a wood frame. Most modern windows have (at least) two panes of glass separated by an argon gas filled space. This creates a real good thermal barrier that saves money on heating/cooling costs. Moreover, most modern windows have a silver coating on the glass (called LoE or LoE2) which is a coating that filters UV rays. If your looking for a way to save money, building your own windows is definately not the way to do it. However, if your looking to make some replacement windows to keep your century home as authentic as possible then go for it, simple double hung windows are not much more difficult to make than cabinet oors. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

'Swhy the lock's on the outside. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

The Vista beta version has no glass in them.

Reply to
Connor Aston

%69%20%6c%6f%76%65%20%77%6f%6f%64%77%6f%72%6b%69%6e%67%20%62%75%74%20%69%6d%

20%63%72%61%70

Conner - I have to ask... what's the deal with the sig line?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

| I bought my windows from Bill Gates! :)

So did I - but they all turned blue... :-(

Morris Dovey

On 3/11/2006 6:30 AM Mike Marlow mumbled something about the following:

It's URL encoding of "i love woodworking but im crap..." and yes, it is kinda annoying.

Reply to
Odinn

I'm in the process now of making two custom-sized 6-over-6 windows to replace a couple of damaged windows in my c. 1830s colonial. Although construction of these old windows is fairly simple (i.e flat sides in the stiles that run in flat runners in the window case), I was quoted about $500-$600 per window to have them built. I nearly choked at the quote and figured I could do this. Windows are a first for me and I'm looking forward to the challenge. After all, I did build a new exterior door with pegged mortise & tenons and 6 raised panels that I (and more importantly, my wife) was quite pleased with.

I bought the Whiteside window sash bit #6050. Also bought a a 13' long board of 6/4 x 6" quarter-sawn western red cedar for about $56. Should be plenty of wood for both windows and allowing plenty extra for mistakes.

Have already planed down & cut some scrap pine to size and after about an hour of trial & error adjusting, I have perfect fitting copes on the rails to match the stile pattern. They are now my set-up jigs. Mullions are next.

Off to the workshop now to finish the test window.

Joe T

Reply to
Joe T

It's hex notation for: "i love woodworking but im crap"

Reply to
Swingman

I made mine. Vertical grain fir. CMT window set. Pretty easy but I did make larger/longer tenons for strength.

TeamCasa

Maybe not, but I'll bet they are still brittle. ;-)

Mark & Juanita