Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

You obviously know all about both. Only lefties worry about what others do.

Because he was explaining the moronic stuff that you like watch, though he didn't say anything about The View. You clarified that, though.

Too complicated for you, obviously, so I did have to explain.

Reply to
krw

"Waste" money. You're clearly clueless (but I'm not telling anyone anything new).

BTW, I don't "justify" hobbies. It's silly.

Maybe you can handle one?

You protest too much. Loser.

Reply to
krw

We dumped DirectTV (and DISH before that) as soon as possible. I hated both. We have AT&T, now. Still sucks but worlds ahead of either satellite service. At least we get reasonably good Internet service now, with it.

AT&T is more expensive but at least it doesn't fade out every time a cloud goes by. I'd cut the cord and go all Internet TV but SWMBO has other ideas.

Reply to
krw

Making small stuff goes fast, hence allows you your deserved retired time hanging out on the patio, fishing, tend a small veggie garden, etc.

I have one large project going, contemplating only one more.

Or, as I, you can collect more tools. That's a nice hobby, LOL, but not profitable.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My TS is on a cabinet I built. It includes my jointer which is next to the TS. The jointer fence is exactly the hight of the saw table, so acts as a convenient extention to the saw. The jointer and motor probably add 150-200 lbs to the saw cabinet. I have the whole thing on wheels, 2 heavy duty ones on one end and a caster you step on to lift the other end. It all moves very easily, although I seldom need too, only if ripping something over 10' maybe 12' and then it's only to put it on a slight angle.

I use mine quite a lot actually, more for getting square edges than anything, but it is required to get a good face on rough lumber for planing. For sizing wood I of course use my planer. That's a tool I waited WAY too long to buy. Dimensional lumber is not the right size for stuff. For example, drawer sides should be 1/2" or 5/8" with few exceptions. Table tops generally 1" to 5/4" and plenty of other examples where store bought lumber is not the right size. It also makes your lumber perfectly equal in thickness, making cutting tongues and glue ups more accurate.

To all new-bee woodworkers. I highly recommend getting a good planer, absolutely with a segmented spiral cutter head, as soon as possible. Same with a jointer.

You won't need to tell yourself to do that, your body/mind will let you know.

Nothing wrong with that, if it keeps her entertained and productive. Much better than spending 12k on a trip to Hawaii or something. The year before I got married I bought my wife-to-be a sewing machine for Christmas, I think she was expecting a ring... I have never been able to get her to sew anything. She still has it too, almost no use on it. I like tools, figured she would too... Not so much!

Reply to
Jack

I record How the Universe Works, and Spaces Deepest Secrets. The shows are pretty much garbage and boring, but they put me to sleep within 5 minutes. First, the videos are mostly fake, so you don't need to watch them (videos of the big bang 14 million years ago, black holes which you can't see, even IF they exist, and so on) This means you can just close your eyes, and be put to sleep. I wake up in the middle of the night, fast forward from the beginning 5 minutes (where I last fell asleep) and wham, in minutes I'm back in dream land, and no drugs needed. One show lasts at least a week before I delete it for a new one:-)

Reply to
Jack

I thought about that, and really, if you think about it, you get a rough cut off a BS that requires planing/sanding. Much better option is a thin kerf blade on the table saw, that doesn't require any sanding/planing for glue up. Much easier and any extra wood waste, if any, is very marginal, and made up with time savings and accuracy.

And, it gives you an excuse to use that fancy sliding table:-)

Reply to
Jack

If you think I'm "a leftie" you're a bigger moron than I thought. I don't worry about what others do either. Do whatever you want. TV and Netflix float your boat, good for you, I think your a moron, that's all.

Whelp, his statement is up there yet, but I'll copy it just for you:

"I put a couple of miles on the tread mill almost every day, You Tube on a 32" TV "right in front" of the tread mill gets me through the drudgery."

My first grade interpretation of that statement is Leon was talking about YouTube, and that it helps him get through the drudgery of the treadmill.

Your immediate reply was "that's why I don't watch Youtube"

Makes no sense to me.

I missed that, what stuff I like to watch did Leon say was "moronic" He didn't comment at all on the stuff I like to watch, other than agreed that Scott Philips and some other shows were not so good?

Thanks for your time, but your explanation makes no sense, IE, moronic.

Reply to
Jack

To a moron, perhaps.

Two, I made two, and they work perfectly. I doubt you could handle one, they take a modicum of skill, something not too many morons can muster.

I'm sorry, you're right, I'm jealous with festering tool envy... You are dumber than a rock.

Reply to
Jack

That depends entirely on the quality of the bandsaw and the bandsaw blade.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Way back when, prior to 1999, I had a 1hp Craftsman TS with added plastic laminate extensions, a Jet E-xacta fence, a fold down out feed table and a roll around base with drawers and a dust collection spot in the middle. And then I stopped messing around and up graded to a Jet cabinet saw, later the SawStop.

for the average job where the customer wants to save some money I use

1/2" Baltic birch for drawers and reinforce the joints with exposed Domino's. On a job with Swingman about 9 years ago I/we built probably 50+ drawers for a kitchen and double bathroom re-do. The drawers were made out of 3/4" Maple with DT joints for the kitchen and the exposed Domino tenons for the bathroom drawers. I think I build about 100 drawers that year.

FWIW I have access to S4S lumber in 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 and so on.

Agreed. But as I went more pro I seldom used the jointer and my 15" planer sees little action. Again the availability of the s4s lumber and the small price difference makes a difference when bidding a job.

My wife eats, breathes, and the rest you know, QUILTING. She has several regular customers that pay her to do the actual quilting for the quilt tops that they sew together. She stays very busy with this but unfortunately that does not pay like the furniture business end does. Our entire upstairs of our story and a half home is dedicated to her studio. Like me her hobby has evolved to paying jobs. Totally agree on spending the money on something that you will use for years vs. a trip that is a brief moment in time.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, I do not subscribe to the think kerf saving wood idea.

99.999999999999999% of the time there is waste at the end of the board that gets tossed in the scrap pile or thrown away. And no one plans on using every bit of the board less the kerf.

IMHO the only advantage to think kerf cuts is less required power. There are more disadvantages than advantages.

Reply to
Leon

when we moved into our new home about 9 years ago we structured wiring for media and internet. The neighborhood had Uverse. We switched at that point to ATT Uverse. That lasted about 2 years. After about the

5th outage, that often lasted all week, we and several of our close neighbors dropped Uverse and we went back to DirecTV. With Uverse, Internet, TV, and Telephone, when Uverse goes down, EVERYGHING goes down. You cannot even watch prerecorded TV as everything you record is actually on the cloud. That was the last straw.

There has never ever been an issue with DirecTV. We did however keep Uverse internet and it has been pretty reliable and fast.

Our next step is to go with something like Tablo and internet only.

Must be a location thing, we get temporary outages but only during heavy rain. I can live with that.

Reply to
Leon

You know there is a growing number of people, soon to be a majority of people, that believe that the big bang was actually filmed as it happened. A lot of these people are government leaders and those that they have promised to take care of, to get their votes.

I was reading NextDoor, a local neighborhood information source. A woman took several pictures of "earth worms" and asked the neighbors if these were snakes. This is where we are headed.

Reply to
Leon

I got through the "first day". It's race to 40, not 30--ha. I'm going to have to "pace" myself! ; ) Chohan is pretty intimidating, for a pool player, a big guy.

Reply to
Bill

He has thought about it and decided that it is cost effective.

He ran a production shop and started out with regular "hobbyist" tools and did quality work. As his sales increased - I have ordered one of his boards

- he put the money back into better, and larger tools. And, if Festool makes a tool he needs - he has it and considers it a good investment.

He has now expanded into a small factory and has a retail store in Moscow. He seems to know his business, and what he is doing since he is making money and expanding.

Moreover, Scott is right. With the right bandsaw and the right blade - assuming that the saw is tuned-up properly - one would be hard pressed to tell the difference in cuts.

I doubt that Festool stays in business supplying a Status/Prestige market. They stay in business because they supply a high quality tool that performs its intended task exceptionally well - and for a long time.

YMMV, and obviously does.

Reply to
Jerry Osage

You certainly act like a snowflake.

Yep, illiterate.

Illiterate idiot.

Of course it doesn't. You're stupid.

Of course you missed it. You're too stupid to actually read for comprehension.

Yes, you are indeed.

Reply to
krw

I certainly don't justify anything to you. You wouldn't understand it if I did. Too stupid.

Wow! I'm impressed!

Idiot.

Reply to
krw

The kerf of a bandsaw blade vs. a table saw blade is significant if you're cutting blocks for a vertical cutting board, particularly if it's done with squares.

Think kerf vs. regular TS blade, sure but the issue is the kerf of a bandsaw. Of course power doesn't matter if you have it (no reason to use a thin kerf blade on a decent cabinet saw).

Reply to
krw

We had all those problems with both Dish and DirectTV, too. The Internet service we could get at the time wouldn't support streaming on a good day. Uverse certainly hasn't been without issues (the whole system has been replaced, piece-meal, several times) but worlds ahead of both satellite services. ...and no dropouts.

I would but, as I said, SWMBO would never go for it.

They kept saying that there was something wrong with out setup (dish direction, or something) but could never fix it.

Reply to
krw