Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

Thank you Jack. LOL. I am familiar with this guy too. I never noticed the Festool till now though. I was more impressed with his large stationary equipment.

Reply to
Leon

...this got me to thinking

Does anyone actually get "Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking" (or is it "Classic Woodworking"?) on their local PBS affiliate? I don't think I've seen anybody comment on the new show. "The show, which airs on more than 200 stations" according to this:

A quick Google of "Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking" resulted w/this: which links to:

So it appears it is/was on in some areas...

Reply to
Spalted Walt

I like it a lot.

I'm planning on making a set of the craftsman dining chairs (ep. 109) when I retire.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

No one said it was "worthwhile" viewing (whatever that means). It does pass time, however. Some is even entertaining. Is entertainment "worthwhile"?

Did you pass your second grade literacy test yet?

Reply to
krw

Jack is just jealous - Festool envy.

Reply to
krw

Scott Phillips: Soft as a grape. His wife isn't much better.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

It's now showing on Lakeshore Public Television (I think it is) down in Indiana just outside Chicago. As a result I get it on DishTV. Strangest thing though. They started with it as soon as it came out but I could never watch it as they had a problem or a required upgrade to their transmission tower and though they apparently had the money to do it, they fell asleep at the switch and wound up at the tail end of a long line of customers for ALL of the antenna service companies permitted by the FCC to do the work. They came back on line a month or so ago and I've seen several episodes of the show and have a few more recorded. Pretty decent show IMO. He's no Tommy Mac, but that ain't necessarily a bad thing.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I watched some snooker matches (I think the season is coming to an end). Most matches with Ronny O'Sullivan (sp?) are good. I also can appreciate a good one-pocket match. I find watching either of those games to be relaxing. People have become so good at 8-ball and 9-ball that I don't find it that entertaining to watch. OTOH, when I was playing a bit, I liked to play 9 ball. I don't think I've ever caught a match "live" on YouTube, but usually, the videos come out on YouTube within a couple of hours.

I just looked up "X1 TV box". It reminds me of my Roku device. Any advantages to it? Looks like I can get one for $30 on Amazon. To humor you, I should mention that our dog has "eaten" 3 Roku remote controls (see if your dog likes them!) ; ) We now try to remember to pick up the remote controls up every time we leave the room.

Reply to
Bill

On Usenet, one thing leads to another,,,,always.

Reply to
Jack

What I noticed was he has a nice TS with a sliding table, yet used his bandsaw to cut up his blocks for the cutting board. Seemed wrong to me.

Reply to
Jack

If you are into one pocket, the best ever is a recent match between Tony Chohan and Dennis Orcolo. It was streamed by POV pool and is in 3 parts. Race to 30 for $50k. These are two of the best one pocket players on earth, Tony probably number one.

Normally I consider one pocket one impossible bank, squeezed between 20 safety's. This match is a glaring exception. Tony makes a ton of incredible shots, unmatched in one pocket history. POV pool compiled a video of them and you can see them here:

These are not trick shots either, he's playing for 50k. Chohan is a one pocket monster.

That's what I have, it's a Comcast/Xfinity cable box/recorder. Nothing at all like Roku. It is awesome though. You can record on mutiple boxes with it, has voice so I can just speak commands to it, like "POV pool on youtube" and it will pop it up, or "forward 3 minutes, 30 seconds" and skip right past commercials, and so on.

Reply to
Jack

Sometimes, like some might be entertained by the morons on The View, or reading your drivel perhaps...

Don't recall, perhaps you should explain what you meant by "I guess there is a reason I don't watch Youtube" immediately following Leons statement that he watches Youtube when on the treadmill?

Go ahead, explain what you meant, I'll try to read it at a first grade level, which should be more than enough.

Reply to
Jack

Thanks, I wrote it down for later. One thing I like about watching videos on YouTube it that I can watch a long video over multiple sittings, i.e. when I'm eating. Way better than TV.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Jack doesn't need any festering tools to get his work done, particularly now with his dramatic decrease in work flow. Might buy the festering Domino if in an active shop, even though it's super over priced. More likely would spend the money on a nice drum sander. The $600 vacuum though would be an embarrassment to own if everyone knew what it costs.

If Jack was going to waste money on any tools it would likely be on a TS with a sliding table, I think that would be nice. Also would like a larger jointer with segmented, spiral cutter head. Too old to justify any of that stuff however. Fortunately, Jack has about every tool he needs to build cabinets, tables, chairs, clocks, lamps, bird feeders, and whirligigs. Been there, done all that, and no longer in the mood.

Whirligigs are fun though if you are old and done with large projects.

Sometimes I just go in my shop, sit there with a coffee and think, man this might be the worlds greatest shop. Jealous? Not hardly.

Reply to
Jack

I've had Tivo now for eighteen years, which provides the same capability for "TV".

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Did you get to touch both of them?? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

FWIW Festool offers, if you sign up for the e-mail's offers, refurbished tools. I probably get an average of 5 offers per day. The small Domino, like I have, typically goes for $700. Less than what I paid new

10+ years ago. Just saying.

I have looked closely at sliding tables form my saw, SawStop even offers one but like most they tend to make the saw less mobile. I move my TS several times a day. soooooo the Dubby jigs get me through when I need that type set up.

For me having a jointer, I did have one for years that I tied the dog leash to, is probably like you buying a Domino. A cool tool but I seldom buy rough cut lumber anymore, for that matter I seldom buy anything but S4S. My time is more valuable than the small amount of savings buying wood that has to be sized. Plus, I extensively use an optimizing program that lets me tell what and how much material to buy. That program imports from Skecthup so it is pretty darn accurate.

I have got to get into building smaller stuff.

I do the same but think, this stuff, that began as a hobby, has paid for itself many times over. If only my wife's stuff had only cost what I have spent. 12 months ago she added a $12K sewing machine to her collection.

Reply to
Leon

The beauty to watching video's over and over is that you can catch parts you missed when you doze off. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

We have a DVR too since 2003. Way back when before HD, DirecTV Tivo, when it was only standard Def. Now DirecTV DVR non Tivo But it does have its limits.

Oddly I still pay DirecTV about the same now as I did 16 years ago.

Reply to
Leon

He does it for the thinner kerf. A considerable saving of expensive wood over time.

Reply to
Jerry Osage